VP of People
San Francisco /
People & Operations /
We're looking for an execution-focused VP of People to lead our people functions at OpenAI. In this role you will oversee recruiting and events; human resources; employee learning and development; compensation and performance management; and diversity, equity, and inclusion. As a member of the executive team, you will – in partnership with others in exec – develop comprehensive strategies for recruitment, employee experience, and development and retention. Your work hiring, supporting and developing OpenAI employees will directly enable us to achieve our mission of ensuring that artificial general intelligence (AGI) benefits all of humanity. This role reports directly to the CEO.
- Oversee our recruiting, HR, events, compensation and learning and development functions
- Set strategy for our diversity, equity and inclusion efforts, and ensure the organization is equipped to execute on this strategy effectively
- Manage, coach and develop your direct reports, and champion and support their work in the rest of the organization
- Create a best-in-class employee experience through our internal events, learning & development opportunities, and more
- Support our employees with excellent benefits, strong performance & compensation philosophy and empathetic engagement
- 8-15+ years of experience working in the People field, with significant experience in each of recruiting, HR and DEI
- 3+ years of experience as a senior People leader, managing and overseeing multiple functions within a company and ideally working directly with executives
- Experience working in a fast-paced, startup-like environment; experience at a tech company specifically is a plus
- Exceptional leader and manager, with expertise in growing and developing employees
- High emotional intelligence, and an ability to navigate and discuss challenging but important topics
- Proven ability to work effectively with a wide-range of stakeholders, and to develop pragmatic solutions to people-related topics
- Belief that AGI is important, and passion about ensuring that it is developed in ways that are safe and beneficial
We’re building safe Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), and ensuring it leads to a good outcome for humans. We believe that unreasonably great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Unlimited time off (we encourage 4+ weeks per year)
- Parental leave
- Flexible work hours
- Lunch and dinner each day
- 401(k) plan