Research Engineer, Reflection
San Francisco /
The OpenAI Reflection team fine-tunes large language models to be helpful and honest, so that increasingly intelligent models will robustly benefit humanity. Our research explores learning from human feedback and decomposing challenging tasks into simpler pieces that may be easier to supervise.
As a research engineer on the Reflection team, you should be able to:
- Write performant and clean code for ML training.
- Write clean non-ML code, for example when building interfaces to let workers interact with our models or pipelines for managing human data.
- Independently run and analyze ML experiments to diagnose problems and understand which changes are real improvements.
- Collaborate closely with a small team to balance the need for flexibility and iteration speed in research with the need for stability and reliability in a complex long-lived project.
- Understand our high-level research roadmap to help plan and prioritize future experiments.
This role may be a good fit for you if you:
- Want to use your engineering skills to push the frontiers of what state-of-the-art language models can accomplish.
- Are concerned about risks from misaligned artificial intelligence and want to use your career to help address them.
- Want to collaborate on open-ended and challenging research questions, building infrastructure and running experiments that have no clear precedent.
We’re building safe Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), and ensuring it leads to a good outcome for humans. We believe that unreasonably great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Unlimited time off (we encourage 4+ weeks per year)
- Parental leave
- Flexible work hours
- Lunch and dinner each day
- 401(k) plan