Scholars Program - Spring 2020
We are now accepting applications for our third class of OpenAI Scholars. In this program, we provide 8 stipends and mentorship to individuals from underrepresented groups to study deep learning full-time for 4 months. All Scholars will design their own curriculum and open-source a project, and document their experience via an ongoing blog in hopes of inspiring others to join the field too.
The first two cohorts of Scholars released their projects and presented at Scholars Demo Day, and have moved on to work, teach, or otherwise be involved within deep learning.
Why we’re doing this
Diversity is core to AI having a positive effect on the world—it’s necessary to ensure the advanced AI systems of the future are built to benefit everyone. The goal of this program is to improve diversity in the field at large.
9/23/2019 Open applications
11/15/2019 Close applications
12/13/2019 Notify all accepted applicants
2/3/2020 Welcome dinner - cohort start (onsite in SF)
5/29/2020 Final project due - cohort end
6/5/2020 Demo day (onsite in SF)
What we provide
- $8.5K stipend for 4 months from February 3rd, 2020 through June 5th, 2020
- $25,000 worth of Azure credits from Microsoft
- If you’re in the Bay Area, we’ll optionally provide a desk for you at the OpenAI office (which our past Scholars have found very valuable)
- A mentor, who will work with you 1:1 via video call each week, answer your questions via chat/email, and work with you to design and execute a good project to stretch your skill
- Access to a group Slack with the scholars and mentors
You are eligible to apply if
- You are a member of an underrepresented group in science and engineering. Our goal is for this program to be as inclusive as possible. if you feel you belong to a group not listed here that is underrepresented in science and engineering, please apply and mention it in your application.
- You have 2+ years experience in software engineering (no machine learning experience required)
- You have US work authorization and are located in US time zones for the duration of the program
- You are comfortable programming in Python (other languages are also helpful, but you’ll spend the program writing in Python)
We'll use these criteria for selection
- Technical skills. The stronger your technical background, the more time you’ll spend focusing on the deep learning itself.
- Self-motivation. We’re looking for people who are experienced in being self-directed on large and challenging projects, and who will be successful at independent work.
- Leadership abilities. We want to hear from people who are interested in community building and who will work to inspire others (in the program and externally) to endeavor to learn deep learning as well.
We’re building safe Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), and ensuring it leads to a good outcome for humans. We believe that unreasonably great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.