Research Scientist, Open-Endedness
San Francisco /
As a research scientist on the open-endedness team, you will help to achieve the vision of continual unbounded innovation, discovery, invention, and increasing complexity within a single run of an open-ended algorithm. You will contribute to new algorithms and new environments to enable open-endedness.
We expect you to have:
- A passion for the research areas of focus of the team, including the belief that it is one of the most important research areas in AI to be pursuing. A high-level introduction to open-endedness is here.
- In the pursuit of open-endedness, the team builds on a diversity of areas (experience in one or more is recommended) including deep learning, deep reinforcement learning, generative models, language generation, environment design and generation, neuroevolution, and divergent search techniques (e.g. like in novelty search, quality diversity, MAP-Elites, POET, minimal criterion coevolution, etc.).
- Strong coding skills
- Desire to join a team and work towards an ambitious, common goal we collectively find interesting
- A track record of high-quality publications
- The ability to autonomously solve complex scientific and engineering challenges when given high-level goals and infrequent feedback from the team
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Nice to have:
- Implemented an ML system that achieved unprecedented results on some task and or has developed an ML algorithm/technique that has solved a major problem or that has become widely known or adopted.
- A desire to truly advance the field. This means to truly grapple with the problem, and stick with it even when it gets difficult, to make the real advance.
We’re building safe Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), and ensuring it leads to a good outcome for humans. We believe that unreasonably great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Unlimited time off (we encourage 4+ weeks per year)
- Parental leave
- Flexible work hours
- Lunch and dinner each day
- 401(k) plan