Social Science Researcher
Member of Technical Staff
As a social science researcher at OpenAI, you’ll be tasked with exploring the human side of AI safety algorithms that try to learn by asking humans questions. Eventually these algorithms will involve both humans and AI, but we believe we can gain knowledge early by modeling the algorithms with humans alone. This will involve conducting experiments with humans that test whether the algorithms are likely to work with people, and improving the human aspects of algorithms to make them work better.
For more details, see AI safety needs social scientists.
A caveat: while we believe social scientists are likely to have an important role to play in long-term AI safety, this would be a new line of research involving significant uncertainty. The safety algorithms being modeled may change over time (either due to knowledge gained on the ML side or the human side), and the research may need to shift accordingly. The specific research questions may be quite different from traditional social science work, though we expect skills and knowledge from other areas to be important. Candidates for this role should be cognizant of this uncertainty. The flip side of this uncertainty is field building opportunity: this is a new area to be explored, mapped, and improved.
- Track record of rigorous experiments with humans in some field of social science (possibilities include experimental psychology, cognitive science, economics, political science, social psychology, etc.), as demonstrated by one or more first author publications or projects.
- Statistics experience for experimental analysis and design.
- Proven interest in long-term AI safety and AI alignment.
- Collaborate with machine learning researchers to invent and tune AI alignment algorithms that are well matched to the behavior of real people.
- Conduct human-only experiments testing whether these algorithms perform well with humans, replacing AI agents with humans for modeling purposes. This includes detailed experiment design, assembling and organizing people to participate in experiments, overseeing or building any necessary tool support for experiments, and analyzing results.
- Plan future research in this area, anticipating issues that might occur due to known or guessed human biases or weaknesses
- As ML capabilities progress, work with ML researchers to merge knowledge gained on the human side with the ML side.
We’re building safe Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), and ensuring it leads to a good outcome for humans. We believe that unreasonably great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
Unlimited time off (we encourage 4+ weeks per year)
Flexible work hours
Lunch and dinner each day