Summer Internship - 2019
Please note: for our 2019 interns program, we are currently only accepting PhD candidates who will be completing their PhD studies in 2019 or 2020.
Our interns have the unique experience of meshing closely with their teams, working under the guidance of world-class researchers, and contributing to OpenAI’s research. We give our interns the chance to contribute to projects that actually matter and are used in our research - no toy problems, no data entry. Many of our interns’ work is also submitted to conferences and/or published.
We want to work with interns who have demonstrated an ability to guide themselves and work autonomously as well as on a team. While research is important, we also really value interns who are great at implementing their ideas quickly, working with a shared codebase, and communicating changes to their work with their team. We also value interns with a background of experience that can contribute to our current research efforts.
You can watch some presentations from our 2018 Intern Open House here.
Any questions? Email email@example.com.
Each team has different criteria and skills that they are looking for, but in general, we would like to see:
- Applicants in their last year of their PhD or undergraduate degree who are available to work within a year of completing their internship.
- Applicants who have a strong body of work, especially single-author papers.
- Applicants with significant open-source contributions to the ML community.
- Applicants with strong engineering skills, with a primary interest in research.
- Applicants available for a minimum of 3 months, starting in April/May 2019.
At this time, we are accepting applications for research internships only. We do not offer ML engineering internships at this time.
We accept applications from international applicants, and will work with you to sponsor your work authorization if offered a Summer 2019 internship.
We offer competitive pay, in addition to relocation assistance, to our interns.
Application Dates / Deadlines:
- Open Summer 2019 Early Decision applications 10/9/2018
- Close Summer 2019 Early Decision Applications 11/2/2018
- Notify Early Decision Applicants By 12/21/2018
- General Admission Applications Open (US & Int’l) 11/3/2018
- International General Admission Applications Close 2/15/2019
- Notify international General Admissions applicants by (for May start) 3/15/2019
- General Admission (US) Close 3/15/2019
- Notify US General Admission applicants (for May start) by 4/15/2019
Because we understand that some candidates need to begin planning their summer well in advance, we are offering two decision periods: Early Decision and General Admission.
Early Decision is designed to give candidates the opportunity to apply in Fall 2018 and secure an internship for Summer 2019 by the end of 2018. If you apply by November 2nd, 2018, we will notify you of your admissions status by December 21st, 2018. Phone screen interviews will be held from October to mid-December, depending on when you apply. Onsites will be held from mid-October to mid-December, depending on when you apply. The application timeframe and deadlines above apply to both international and US-based applicants.
General Admission allows candidates to apply later in the year for a Summer 2019 internship, with rolling admissions. We may close applications for Summer 2019 early if we reach capacity earlier than anticipated, and will update the job post when that happens.
We are accepting applications from candidates without US work authorization from November 3rd, 2018 to February 15th, 2019, and will notify international applicants of their admissions status by March 15th, 2019.
We are accepting applications from candidates with US work authorization from November 3rd, 2018 to March 15th, 2019, and will notify these applicants of their admissions status by April 15th, 2019 at the latest.
If you apply after March 15th, 2019, we will consider you for future summer internships, or fall/winter internships (in exceptional cases).