Human Resources Generalist
People & Talent
Before you read any further: Diversity of thought is our thing at Opencare; we’ve worked hard to craft a team with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. Why? We're glad you asked! We are all solving the same set of problems from our own unique lenses, and this is fundamental to our success as a business and ability to produce creative solutions. Experience means something different to each of us, and your unique combination of skills, passions, and experiences makes you a valuable asset to our team.
Don’t feel like you perfectly fit this role? Do us a favour and apply anyway! Let’s consider Megan MacQuarrie who is our Manager of People Operations. She started her career in Communications, then moved into Operations with a focus on Culture, before recognizing her passion for enabling and developing individuals and teams. Megan is the epitome of someone who hustles hard to continually improve herself and the wider company. Her Operations background brings experience in performance, finance, and culture; critical to building a world class People organization. Challenging yourself and taking on new things is inherent to our DNA and we want to add more growth-minded individuals.
To enable people to have optimal health of mind and body, by ensuring they get the preventive care they need.
Opencare is re-designing the dentist visit with a focus on wellness. We live our most important life moments, from laughing and smiling to eating and talking, through our mouths. Yet for such an important body part, the thought of visiting the dentist instills fear and confusion in most people. To us, that doesn’t make any sense.
That’s why we’re rebuilding every moment of the dental experience; not only to be impactful during the visit, but life enriching afterward, too. If you never thought you’d say “Wow, I love my dentist!”, our goal is to get you there.
We believe that people reach their full potential at work when they are happy and healthy outside of work. You can learn more about our culture, as well as our professional and personal benefits here. You can also hear about it directly from our team here.
Our People Operations Team’s Vision
In order to achieve our vision, we need an extraordinary People Operations team that is innovative, passionate, inclusive, and performance focused. We aim to enable and develop our people by empowering them to focus on their work. We identify unrealized potential, then unlock it by holistically investing in development, creating professional opportunities, and supporting with consistent coaching along the way.
Our People Operations team is fueled by feedback and experiments with new processes regularly; we work as partners within the business, ensuring that we are optimizing for performance and productivity. You will constantly be challenged to learn and develop new processes and programs, while being given the freedom to solve problems on your own and learn by doing.
How will you help to get us there?
As the first ever Human Resources Generalist at Opencare, you will spend your days building out the foundational processes of a world-class HR organization in a high-growth startup environment. This includes developing new processes/programs/policies as well as auditing existing infrastructure for improvement.
Your impact, six months into the role:
- Auditing current infrastructure for improvement; ensuring that we are meeting all regulatory standards while innovating on process
- Implementing new employee engagement programs to ensure that we retain top talent
- Researching and implementing improvements on internal communications
- Working with the People Operations team to lay the groundwork for a remote U.S. office; including payroll, benefits, policy, etc.
- Solving complex problems across all areas of the business in an efficient and scalable way by collaborating with our People Operations and Talent team
Your impact, one year into the role:
- Leading large autonomous projects across the organization with minimal oversight while keeping all stakeholders aligned
- Contributing to strategic People decisions and acting as an advisor to the People Management team; owning an area of the business as an HR Business Partner
- Exploring new programs and processes that will continue to level up Opencare’s focus on engagement and retention
What skills will you bring to the team from day one?
- A strong understanding of HR fundamentals; policy development, payroll, employment law, health & safety
- Skills in employee relations and conflict resolution
- Experience working with an HRIS and automating workflows for logistical onboarding and day to day admin
- Experience administering comp and benefit plans and organizing performance reviews
- Ownership of employee engagement programs; surveys, action plans, team building, etc
- Experience working with remote teams/offices and creating alignment across the organization
What skills will you have the opportunity to develop?
- Working in an experimental environment; innovating on process, adapting based on feedback, and customizing across teams
- Building out the foundation for a US office; payroll, benefits, policy, etc
- Development of Performance Management programs
- Contributing to and advising organizational design in an area of the business