Finance & Data
Before you read any further: Our strength at Opencare relies on the diversity of perspective that we work hard to craft on our team. We are all solving the same set of problems from our own unique lenses, and this is fundamental to our success as a business. Experience means something different to each of us, and your unique combination of skills, passions, and experiences makes you a valuable asset to our team.
Don’t feel like you perfectly fit this role? Do us a favour and apply anyway!
Take Mieka for example. She began her career as a Category Analyst in eCommerce, before joining Opencare as a Customer Success Manager. During her time in this role, Mieka took the initiative to start solving problems for our remote Support Operations team. Today, Mieka is driving a ton of impact on the Finance & Data team by overseeing Billing and Accounts Receivable, and is managing the remote Support team to ensure the best possible customer experience for our dental practices.
To enable people to have optimal health of mind and body, by ensuring they get the preventive care they need.
Opencare is re-designing the dentist visit with a focus on wellness. We live our most important life moments, from laughing and smiling to eating and talking, through our mouths. Yet for such an important body part, the thought of visiting the dentist instills fear and confusion in most people. To us, that doesn’t make any sense.
That’s why we’re rebuilding every moment of the dental experience; not only to be impactful during the visit, but life enriching afterward, too. If you never thought you’d say “Wow, I love my dentist!”, our goal is to get you there.
We believe that people reach their full potential at work when they are happy and healthy outside of work. You can learn more about our culture, as well as our professional and personal benefits here. You can also hear about it directly from our team here.
Our Finance & Data Team’s Vision
We believe data is the key to good decision making and visibility is critical for ownership. By ensuring all aspects of the business have both, we will be able to set aggressive goals, celebrate our successes, understand our misses, and pivot rapidly as needed. True partnership is therefore critical between Finance and all teams across the organization and as such, the Finance team will pride themselves on the breadth of their company wide understanding and teamwork when helping the entire company reach our goals while guiding and managing cash and profitability during this critical period and beyond.
How will you help to get us there?
Opencare is looking for an accomplished Finance Manager to play a critical role in providing enhanced insight, analytics, and execution in forecasting, budgeting, cash management, financial reporting, and analytics at both the strategic and tactical levels of the business.
As the Finance Manager you will help to lead a team in executing the financial vision of the company by owning critical functions such as overall financial planning, company and team specific budgeting and forecasting, developing and maintaining operational metrics and modelling, ad hoc analytics, and ongoing financial reporting.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to become a foundational part of a venture-backed, homegrown startup and to work directly with the Head of Finance to develop and grow a finance function.
Your impact, six months into the role:
- Lead financial modeling and forecasting at a company wide level to enable strategic decision making, financial planning, and optimal capital allocation
- Manage ongoing budgeting and forecasting and together with our accounting team, ensure we are on target against our budget and provide insight and actionable recommendations of any deviation
- Develop and maintain detailed month over month cashflow forecast and spend
- Support fundraising by engaging with key internal and external stakeholders in diligence and analysis
- Support executive team with internal and board reporting
- Conduct critical ad hoc analysis together with our Data team. Examples of projects we’re currently working on include:
- Developing a more robust demand/supply balancing forecasting model to help us drive revenue, customer experience, and margin
- Addressable market analysis and implications for new city launches, existing city strategy, and team staffingAnalysis of employee option plan and ongoing requirements
Your impact, one year into the role:
- Lead detailed annual org-wide budgeting process to ensure strong overall growth while beginning to realize economies of scale
- Develop and maintain critical banking relationships
- Develop, maintain, and enhance team specific budgeting and reporting playbook to ensure high visibility and ultimately ownership of P&Ls at each level of the organization
- Act as a business partner to functional teams by developing and enhancing detailed operational models that help to drive critical day to day decision making across the company
- Scale, develop, and coach the Finance team as the Company continues to grow
- Support Head of Finance across spectrum of financial activities including: Ongoing fundraising, Investor relations, M&A Banking and treasury functions, Cash management
What skills will you bring to the team from day one?
- You strive for a holistic understanding of any business or activity you’re involved in, especially the fundamentals that drive growth and success
- Belief that Finance is an accelerator to Company growth, not just a support function
- Experience as a successful Finance leader, including having led an annual budgeting process for all or part of an organization
- Exceptional understanding of key accounting principlesHighly analytical and exceptional financial modelling skillset including full 3 statement and cashflow forecasting
- Strong communications skills with ability to work cross functionally
- Strong negotiator
- Passionate people manager who has successfully led, coached, and developed a team of 3+ direct reports
- Self starter with a demonstrated track record of critical thinking and problem solving applied to ambiguous problems
What skills will you have the opportunity to develop?
- Building and scaling a Finance function from an early stage
- Supporting a diligence process as part of a venture based fundraise
- Working cross functionally with our Data and functional teams to build out models, forecasts and analytics to enhance and drive data based operational decision making
- Leading an analysis and implementation of a budgeting tool to gain operating leverage
- Integrating FP&A, treasury, data and accounting into a tight reporting and decision driving process
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Cross border tax planning and optimization