Before you read any further: Diversity of thought is our thing at Opencare; we’ve worked hard to craft a team with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. Why? We're glad you asked! We are all solving the same set of problems from our own unique lenses, and this is fundamental to our success as a business and ability to produce creative solutions. Experience means something different to each of us, and your unique combination of skills, passions, and experiences makes you a valuable asset to our team.
Don’t feel like you perfectly fit the role? Do us a favour and apply anyway!
To enable people to have optimal health of mind and body, by ensuring they get the preventive care they need.
Opencare is re-designing the dentist visit with a focus on wellness. We live our most important life moments, from laughing and smiling to eating and talking, through our mouths. Yet for such an important body part, the thought of visiting the dentist instills fear and confusion in most people. We want to change that.
That’s why we’re rebuilding every moment of the dental experience; not only to be impactful during the visit, but life enriching afterward, too. If you never thought you’d say “Wow, I love my dentist!”, our goal is to get you there.
We believe that people reach their full potential at work when they are happy and healthy outside of work. You can learn more about our culture, as well as our professional and personal benefits here. You can also hear about it directly from our team here.
Our Engineering Team’s Vision
In order to achieve our vision, we need an extraordinary Engineering team that is creative, passionate, and user-focused. We are a technology company that happens to be in healthcare, and we treat ourselves as such.
Our Engineering team uses the most modern technology and processes available: we deploy to production multiple times per day with our continuous delivery pipeline, we have efficient code review processes on Github, and we are extremely agile with our product planning lifecycle. You will constantly be challenged to learn new technologies, and be given the freedom to solve problems on your own and learn by doing.
How will you help to get us there?
As the Engineering Manager at Opencare, you'll spend your days managing and developing the team that is building Opencare platform from the ground up, forming the foundation for our latest products to help our Practices tackle their toughest business challenges. You and your team will be building and scaling our brand new B2B calendar syncing, insurance billing & claims products, the first of their kind within the dental industry, and you will be working with the Product team to develop the roadmap and inform the rest of the business on the resources necessary to build out our vision. You will spend 75% of your time on people and thought leadership, and 25% of your time on more technical initiatives.
Your impact, six months into the role:
- Growing, developing, and coaching a team of software developers to ensure the highest quality of delivery
- Iterating on and building core processes to ensure that the development team is running efficiently and is well-integrated across the business
- Working 1-on-1 with team members to help them develop core skills that will elevate their career, and unblock their day-to-day activities
- Collaborating with technical leads to design and architect the infrastructure for Opencare’s next web application
- Driving technical architecture discussions from the early exploration and ideation, through to decision making and then delivery
- Owning the development and delivery of high-quality, well-tested software that directly impacts business metrics for a product that is used across North America by hundreds of thousands of people
- Making significant strides in automating dental insurance processes by deepening our integrations with practices
Your impact, one year into the role:
- Realise key technical advances that enable new functionality on the Opencare Sync platform, unlocking exciting new product opportunities
- Playing a key role in scaling revenue for Opencare’s technical products to millions in 2020
- Help to automate many dental practice functions ranging from insurance to billing to ease the operational burden on dentists, so they can focus on caring for patients
- Enabling other teams within Opencare to automate functions with our practices by integrating more deeply into the tools they use everyday
What skills will you bring to the team from day one?
- Strong people leadership competency, and experience managing and developing high performing teams
- An agile mindset - you love to experiment quickly and often
- A strong foundation in software development principles and best practices
- You’re obsessed with driving business impact, and are guided in your work by a holistic approach to problem-solving
What skills will you have the opportunity to develop?
- Developing the IC’s on your team into senior developers and leaders in the company
- Flushing out resource and organizational strategy for your team
- Collaborating with stakeholders across the business to develop processes and manage touch points to enable the success of downstream dependencies of the Opencare Sync platform
- Working with our Head of Product to develop and iterate on our product roadmap
- Working closely with our technical leads to align engineering strategy & vision to business outcomes
- Growing and scaling the Engineering function, team, and processes on our brand new products