Team Lead, Data
Finance & Data /
Before you read any further: Our strength at Opencare relies on the diversity of perspective that we work hard to craft on our team. We are all solving the same set of problems from our own unique lenses, and this is fundamental to our success as a business. Experience means something different to each of us, and your unique combination of skills, passions, and experiences makes you a valuable asset to our team.
Don’t feel like you perfectly fit this role? Do us a favour and apply anyway! Take Eric for example. Eric did his undergraduate B.B.A with a specialization in Finance before joining a start-up in a growth marketing / analyst role. Bringing experience running offline marketing campaigns to Opencare, Eric has been focused on how to merge his operational experience with his data skills to provide strategic direction to our growth team. Working at the fast pace of Opencare’s Growth team, Eric has been able to level up the growth team with the insights that he drives, while continuing to develop his technical skills by taking on new projects and working with other analysts / data scientists on the team. Opencare would not be the same without him.
To enable people to have optimal health of mind and body, by ensuring they get the preventive care they need.
Opencare is re-designing the dentist visit with a focus on wellness. We live our most important life moments, from laughing and smiling to eating and talking, through our mouths. Yet for such an important body part, the thought of visiting the dentist instills fear and confusion in most people. To us, that doesn’t make any sense.
That’s why we’re rebuilding every moment of the dental experience; not only to be impactful during the visit, but life enriching afterward, too. If you never thought you’d say “Wow, I love my dentist!”, our goal is to get you there.
We believe that people reach their full potential at work when they are happy and healthy outside of work. You can learn more about our culture, as well as our professional and personal benefits here. You can also hear about it directly from our team here.
Our Data Team’s Vision
Our Data team is driven by providing meaningful insights across the business that will accelerate our growth. Our analysts and data scientists work on problems that dive deep into understanding how our customers behave and how we can serve them better because we know that when we can help someone find a great dentist and prioritize their mouth wellness it’s a win-win-win. This means that our team is focused on big problems like supply / demand balancing, multi touch attribution across multiple channels both online and offline, understanding the impact of complex communication flows, and ensuring that when we run experiments we’re learning as much as we can.
How will you help to get us there?
As the Team Lead, you will play a critical role on the growing data team by mentoring and leading a team of data analysts working to support every department. You will use your technical background to support the team through challenging analyses like multi-touch attribution, supply/demand balancing, and setting up experimentation frameworks across the company.
Your impact, six months into the role:
- The data team is supported with strong mentorship - from communication to code structure
- Support key decision making across the company by ensuring the data team works closely with functional groups to provide information, analytics, and support
- Form a strong partnership with FP&A function to ensure we have robust modelling and forecasting across all business lines and functions
- With support from the Director, Data Science, take ownership of the data infrastructure, democratizing data to ensure all teams have access to appropriate tools and uninterrupted data to drive decision making
Your impact, one year into the role:
- You’re a thought partner with the management layer across the business as you’ve worked to deeply understand their roles and proactively bring recommendations on how to use data across each department
- Data is easily accessible across the organization and the data team is performing high-leverage activities (like advising teams how to think about experimentation, or which metrics to consider when diving deep into a problem), not running queries
- The data team has thrived under your leadership and each team member is meeting their development goals
What skills will you bring to the team from day one?
- Strong mentorship skills - you know what makes a great analysis, and you know how to give people feedback to help them get there
- A drive to proactively solve business problems, push back on established playbooks, and an impact-forward approach to data science and analytics
- The ability to effectively communicate the business impact of data analysis, and translate insights into actionable recommendations for key stakeholders at all levels (individual contributor to Executive leadership)
- Strong organizational and operational skills - managing a team and keeping track of all the different projects and dependencies they’re working through is second nature for you.
- Strong technical skills in SQL and git. Experience with dbt and Looker (LookML and visualizations) would be a strong asset but can be learned on the job.
- Whether or not you’ve read them, you probably agree with a lot of dbt’s best practices and coding conventions.
What skills will you have the opportunity to develop?
- Develop an exceptional coaching mindset - learn how to hire, build and nurture a world-class data team with lots of room to continue to develop into a more senior leadership role as the team grows
- Deepen your technical skills by working with a modern data tech stack. Opencare follows an ELT (instead of ETL) - we use Fivetran for the “EL”, and dbt for the “T”. All of the data is sent to our Snowflake data warehouse and then modelled for Looker as our BI tool. We have rigorous unit testing, version control, peer reviews and fully automated dev / production environments across dbt and Looker to ensure we’re deploying the highest quality code possible.