Before you read any further: Diversity of thought is our thing at Opencare; we’ve worked hard to craft a team with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. Why? We're glad you asked! We are all solving the same set of problems from our own unique lenses, and this is fundamental to our success as a business and ability to produce creative solutions. Experience means something different to each of us, and your unique combination of skills, passions, and experiences makes you a valuable asset to our team.
Don’t feel like you perfectly fit the role? Do us a favour and apply anyway! Take Scott for example. He began his career in Product Management and Marketing before pivoting into Front End Development. Scott honed in on his technical skills through a bootcamp, and brings a unique product and user mindset to his role as a Front end Developer at Opencare. Today, Scott is tackling the migration of our recommendations page from AngularJS to React, and is working on creating functional and beautiful user experiences (his biggest passion!) Opencare wouldn’t be the same without him!
To enable people to have optimal health of mind and body, by ensuring they get the preventive care they need.
Opencare is re-designing the dentist visit with a focus on wellness. We live our most important life moments, from laughing and smiling to eating and talking, through our mouths. Yet for such an important body part, the thought of visiting the dentist instills fear and confusion in most people. We want to change that.
That’s why we’re rebuilding every moment of the dental experience; not only to be impactful during the visit, but life enriching afterward, too. If you never thought you’d say “Wow, I love my dentist!”, our goal is to get you there.
We believe that people reach their full potential at work when they are happy and healthy outside of work. You can learn more about our culture, as well as our professional and personal benefits here. You can also hear about it directly from our team here.
Our Engineering Team’s Vision
In order to achieve our vision, we need an extraordinary Engineering team that is creative, passionate, and user-focused. We are a technology company that happens to be in healthcare, and we treat ourselves as such.
Our Engineering team uses the most modern technology and processes available: we deploy to production multiple times per day with our continuous delivery pipeline, we have efficient code review processes on Github, and we are extremely agile with our product planning lifecycle. You will constantly be challenged to learn new technologies, and be given the freedom to solve problems on your own and learn by doing.
How will you help to get us there?
As a Software Developer at Opencare, you'll spend your days building out the Opencare platform from the ground up, forming the foundation for our latest products to help our Practices tackle their toughest business challenges.
Your impact, six months into the role:
- Helping to scale our calendar booking integration so that patients can book seamlessly
- Making significant strides in automating dental insurance by deepening our integrations with practices
- Playing a key role in planning out the infrastructure for Opencare’s next web application
- Owning the development and delivery of high-quality, well-tested software that directly impacts business metrics for a product that is used across North America by hundreds of thousands of people
- Solving complex problems across all areas of the business in an efficient and scalable way by collaborating with our Engineering and Product team
- Participating in technical architecture discussions from the early exploration of ideas to deciding on a concrete path forward
Your impact, one year into the role:
- Playing a key role in scaling revenue for Opencare’s revenue cycle management team to millions in 2020
- Helping to automate many dental practice functions ranging from insurance to billing
- Enabling other teams within Opencare to automate functions with our practices by integrating more deeply into the tools they use everyday
- Contributing to strategic technology decisions and pairing with other team members to mutually grow your skill sets by being a thought leader within the Engineering team
What skills will you bring to the team from day one?
- Strong experience with Object-Oriented Programming - this is critical to being able to contribute to our code base effectively
- Building something from scratch and solid engineering principles
- Familiarity with operating systems fundamentals - you understand some of the challenges desktop developers face: thinking about concurrency, thinking about failure and ensuring availability of logging in the case of failure, and thinking about proactive monitoring
- Strong Operating Systems, DevOps, IT, or platform engineering background. This role will run into technical challenges that will require the ability to understand how systems are running in the absence of documentation
- You’re obsessed with driving business impact, and are guided in your work by a holistic approach to problem-solving
- Experience with .NET Core or .NET Framework preferred
You’ll also have the opportunity to:
- Grow your product management and growth marketing skills by being involved in product planning discussions
- Work on customer funnels and customer behaviour analytics tools (eg. Amplitude, Segment, Optimizely, Mixpanel, etc.) to understand what is resonating with our users and run sophisticated A/B tests