Data Scientist, Growth
Finance & Data
Before you read any further: Diversity of thought is our thing at Opencare; we’ve worked hard to craft a team with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. Why? We're glad you asked! We are all solving the same set of problems from our own unique lenses, and this is fundamental to our success as a business and ability to produce creative solutions. Experience means something different to each of us, and your unique combination of skills, passions, and experiences makes you a valuable asset to our team.
Don’t feel like you perfectly fit this role? Do us a favour and apply anyway! Take Eric for example. Eric did his undergraduate B.B.A with a specialization in Finance before joining a start-up in a growth marketing / analyst role. Bringing experience running offline marketing campaigns to Opencare, Eric has been focused on how to merge his operational experience with his data skills to provide strategic direction to our growth team. Working at the fast pace of Opencare’s Growth team, Eric has been able to level up the growth team with the insights that he drives, while continuing to develop his technical skills by taking on new projects and working with other analysts / data scientists on the team. Opencare would not be the same without him.
To enable people to have optimal health of mind and body, by ensuring they get the preventive care they need.
Opencare is re-designing the dentist visit with a focus on wellness. We live our most important life moments, from laughing and smiling to eating and talking, through our mouths. Yet for such an important body part, the thought of visiting the dentist instills fear and confusion in most people. To us, that doesn’t make any sense.
That’s why we’re rebuilding every moment of the dental experience; not only to be impactful during the visit, but life enriching afterward, too. If you never thought you’d say “Wow, I love my dentist!”, our goal is to get you there.
We believe that people reach their full potential at work when they are happy and healthy outside of work. You can learn more about our culture, as well as our professional and personal benefits here. You can also hear about it directly from our team here.
Our Data Team’s Vision
Our Data Team is driven by providing meaningful insights across the business that will accelerate our growth. Our analysts and data scientists work on problems that dive deep into understanding how our customers behave and how we can serve them better because we know that when we can help someone find a great dentist and prioritize their mouth wellness it’s a win-win-win. This means that our team is focused on big problems like supply / demand balancing, multi touch attribution across multiple channels both online and offline, understanding the impact of complex communication flows, and ensuring that when we run experiments we’re learning as much as we can.
How will you help to get us there?
We are bringing on a Data Scientist to work with our Growth team to uncover new opportunities to scale patient demand by exploring our complex digital ad data to help identify new optimizations and experiments to optimize patient acquisition. You will be unlocking growth opportunities for Opencare by understanding consumer behaviour and finding patterns in places previously unexplored. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with a deep understanding of Facebook advertising who is very comfortable rolling their sleeves up in data sets. If you’re someone who gets excited about the “so what” of your analysis and wants to drive business outcomes, this is the role for you!
By diving deep to understand how our ads convert, this Data Scientist will play a key role in shaping our marketing and growth strategies to help us understand how to connect with the right consumer, at the right time, and with the right value proposition.
Your impact, six months into the role:
- Building out segmentation and attribution models to improve decision making, understand where value is created, and unlocking major growth in new and existing channels
- Navigating the complexity of multiple campaigns with different ad content, geographical, and user groupings to identify and realize optimization opportunities within our digital marketing channels
- Understanding our marketing funnel and identifying where in the customer journey value is created so that we can double down on what is working and cut back on activities that aren’t adding value
- Navigating through our marketing data to distill key insights, inform rapid and iterative experimentation, and drive critical business decisions for our Growth and Marketing team
Your impact, one year into the role:
- Building the data science playbook for Demand, scaling it across all of our North American markets, and establishing yourself as a thought leader in this space
- Supporting the launch and development of new markets, focusing on how to effectively balance paid and engagement channels in different sizes of markets
- Deepening our understanding of our users by partnering with Product, Engineering, Marketing and other teams to capture more nuanced data about our customers
- Advising our C-Suite leadership on strategic areas for growth, informed by deep dive analysis and a strong understanding of our business
What skills will you bring to the team from day one?
- A drive to proactively solve business problems, push back on established playbooks, and an impact-forward approach to data science
- A deep understanding of R or Python, and SQL in order to effectively build models to understand consumer behaviour
- Experience supporting a marketing, growth, or demand team, with the ability to understand and analyze data from complex marketing campaigns with many variables
- Familiarity working with the Facebook API to optimize ads
- The ability to effectively communicate the business impact of data analysis, and translate insights into actionable recommendations for key stakeholders at all levels (individual contributor to Executive leadership)
What skills will you have the opportunity to develop?
- Deepen your understanding of consumer advertising working on one of the largest Facebook tech accounts in Canada
- Develop an extensive understanding of how to optimize in markets of different sizes and at different stages of growth as we continue to launch new markets across the US
- Continue to develop in a technical and / or leadership role as the team rapidly grows