Full Stack Developer
Before you read any further: Diversity of thought is our thing at Opencare; we’ve worked hard to craft a team with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. Why? We're glad you asked! We are all solving the same set of problems from our own unique lenses, and this is fundamental to our success as a business and ability to produce creative solutions. Experience means something different to each of us, and your unique combination of skills, passions, and experiences makes you a valuable asset to our team.
To enable people to have optimal health of mind and body, by ensuring they get the preventive care they need.
Opencare is re-designing the dentist visit with a focus on wellness. We live our most important life moments, from laughing and smiling to eating and talking, through our mouths. Yet for such an important body part, the thought of visiting the dentist instills fear and confusion in most people. We want to change that.
That’s why we’re rebuilding every moment of the dental experience; not only to be impactful during the visit, but life enriching afterward, too. If you never thought you’d say “Wow, I love my dentist!”, our goal is to get you there.
We believe that people reach their full potential at work when they are happy and healthy outside of work. You can learn more about our culture, as well as our professional and personal benefits here. You can also hear about it directly from our team here.
Our Engineering Team’s Vision
In order to achieve our vision, we need an extraordinary engineering team that is creative, passionate, and user-focused. We are a technology company that happens to be in healthcare, and we treat ourselves as such.
Our engineering team uses the most modern technology and processes available: we deploy to production multiple times per day with our continuous delivery pipeline, we have efficient code review processes on Github, and we are extremely agile with our product planning lifecycle. You will constantly be challenged to learn new technologies, and be given the freedom to solve problems on your own and learn by doing.
How will you help to get us there?
As a Full Stack Developer at Opencare, you'll spend your days solving a wide variety of exciting design, product, and business problems. This includes new feature development, participating in the design process, and working on improving our front end engineering infrastructure.
Your impact, six months into the role:
- Owning the development and delivery of high-quality, well-tested software that directly impacts business metrics for a product that is used across North America by hundreds of thousands of people
- Working with modern technology throughout our entire stack (Node.js, Angular, React, Postgres) running on AWS and deployed with Codeship
- Solving complex problems across all areas of the business in an efficient and scalable way by collaborating with our Engineering and Product team
- Participating in technical architecture discussions from the early exploration of ideas to deciding on a concrete path forward
Your impact, one year into the role:
- Shipping large autonomous projects without oversight while keeping all stakeholders aligned and running previously undiscovered projects that were not on the roadmap when you started
- Contributing to strategic technology decisions and pairing with other team members to mutually grow your skill sets by being a thought leader within the Engineering team
- Exploring new technologies that will be leveraged internally and providing input to improve our tools and systems
What skills will you bring to the team from day one?
- A product mindset. You strive to put the needs of the user to the forefront whenever you work on a feature and you are comfortable with the product development lifecycle
- Ownership of the development and delivery of high-quality, well-tested software
- A strong understanding of computer science fundamentals and can communicate design decisions to the wider Engineering and Product team
- Experience building and deploying web software that has been used by a large number of users and understands the nuances and challenges related to scalable system
- Experience working in agile development environments and are accustomed to working with product management tools (eg. Asana, Trello, Pivotal, or JIRA)
You’ll also have the opportunity to:
- Develop software in Node, Angular, and React in a fast-paced, hyper-growth startup in the health and wellness space
- Work on customer funnels and customer behaviour analytics tools (eg. Amplitude, Segment, Looker, Mixpanel, A/B testing, etc.) to understand what is resonating with our users
- Grow your product management skills by always focusing on the end user first and foremost