Chief of Staff
Before you read any further: Our strength at Opencare relies on the diversity of perspective that we work hard to craft on our team. This is something that our Leadership team champions and drives everyday and we believe that we are all solving the same set of problems from our own unique lenses, and this is fundamental to our success as a business. Every person’s path to Opencare is unique and that diversity of experiences, skills, and passions are what helps create an organisation that is supportive and actively seeks those with different viewpoints.
Don’t feel like you perfectly fit this role? Do us a favour and apply anyway! Let’s consider Megan MacQuarrie who is our Manager of People Operations. Starting her career in Communications, then moving into Operations, before recognizing her passion for enabling and developing individuals and teams. Megan is the epitome of someone who hustles hard to continually improve herself and the wider company. Challenging yourself and taking on new things is inherent to our DNA and we want to add more growth-minded individuals.
To enable people to have optimal health of mind and body, by ensuring they get the preventive care they need.
Opencare is re-designing the dentist visit with a focus on wellness. We live our most important life moments, from laughing and smiling to eating and talking, through our mouths. Yet for such an important body part, the thought of visiting the dentist instills fear and confusion in most people. To us, that doesn’t make any sense.
That’s why we’re rebuilding every moment of the dental experience; not only to be impactful during the visit, but life enriching afterward, too. If you never thought you’d say “Wow, I love my dentist!”, our goal is to get you there.
We believe that people reach their full potential at work when they are happy and healthy outside of work. You can learn more about our culture, as well as our professional and personal benefits here. You can also hear about it directly from our team here.
How does this role help us reach that vision?
As we continue to grow the company to strive towards our vision, the complexity of day to day operations gets increasingly challenging and we need someone who is ready to step in to help run Opencare.
Working alongside our COO, Cameron Howieson, you will be the yin to his yang. Providing organisational and operational balance that allows everyone to leverage their strengths to deliver critical projects, and thoughtful decisions. We are not looking for someone to just manage calendars or book flights - we want a strategic thinker who can own and deliver complex projects, and build meaningful relationships internally and externally.
Operator. Communicator. Thought leader. Partner.
Your impact, six months into the role:
- Building solid relationships across the whole company and strong business context to enable decision making
- Assumed responsibility for key day-to-day and strategic operations work to alleviate workload on COO
- Identified high leverage opportunities to improve operational functions of Opencare
- Valued member of Leadership team and able to provide clear thinking and rationale to both operational and general business items in collaboration with wider Leadership and Executive teams
Your impact, one year into the role:
- You have leveled up Cameron to be a superhero in all facets of his work
- A trusted partner with all groups internally, and externally, who is the “go-to” for problem solving and bouncing strategic ideas
- Delivered multiple high-impact strategic projects that help Opencare achieve revenue and growth goals
- Able to cut through the noise and help our executives to understand what is truly the highest priority, keep them focused, and find solutions for lower priority problems independently
- An effective and respected substitute for the executive team in both internal and external meetings
- Provide a nuanced and honest inside look at teams, and communicate challenges to leaders with a focus on finding solutions that support individuals and teams
- Begin identifying what the next exciting role within Opencare will be for you
What skills will you bring to the team from day one?
- Unrivalled organisational and operational skills, honed in a small and fast-paced environment
- True passion for building relationships through transparent and regular communication
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to help Opencare grow and succeed
- Experienced in change management with a focus on transparent communicating and building morale and excitement
- Comfortable and excited by creative problem solving, whether thinking about how we increase effectiveness of teams or collaborating on a sales strategy you’ll be invigorated and thoughtful
- Ruthless prioritisation - you can identify the most important things for our COO and the business as a whole
What skills will you be developing?
- Fully immersing yourself in the operations of a high-growth, high-trajectory organisation
- Confidence in having a wide remit to identify and create impact across the organisation
- Identifying where you want to take the next step in your career within Opencare and working with the leadership team to prepare yourself to move into that role
- Coaching and developing the Leadership team to be an even more harmonious, focused and high-performing group
- General business leadership as you collaborate with the Executive team in overcoming the challenges that a high-growth company experiences (eg. which city should we launch next, and when?)
What we offer you
Ownership: from day one, you will be deeply involved in defining the strategy and planning for your team. You will help shape the direction of Opencare!
Serious investment in your personal growth: we offer leadership coaching, regular access to a performance psychologist, and mentors in Silicon Valley
Robust wellness program: full health benefits, performance and wellness coaches flown in from San Francisco, in-office yoga sessions, wellness retreats, a nap & meditation room and more...
Unlimited vacation & sick days: we insist that each employee takes adequate time to recharge and avoid burnout
Healthy food and drinks: daily organic catered lunches, snack bar and fridge full of healthy snacks
Top-of-market compensation: we believe that the best people should be compensated as the best people
Stock options: everyone who works at Opencare owns a part of Opencare and gets considerable financial upside as we continue to grow
Team events: we share a passion for our work and also know how to have fun (team retreats, monthly events, weekly socials etc.)
Great downtown location: we have a spacious, open-concept office right at Dundas and University
- Culture is our number one priority -- which is why we have such an amazing team!
- We are delivering over $165 million in patient value each year (and growing!)
- Patients love Opencare, giving us a net promoter score higher than their iPhone and Netflix
- Funded by top-tier US venture firms and angels (8VC, ff VC, Real Ventures, Collaborative Fund, and more)