San Francisco, CA
Finance – Legal
Opendoor operates at the intersection of the technology and residential real estate industries. Our talented legal team addresses novel, complex legal issues every day, and provides rapid, creative, and compliant solutions.
Opendoor is seeking a highly organized, business-oriented Employment Counsel with deep expertise negotiating a broad range of commercial and technology agreements. In this role, you will work closely with Opendoor’s procurement team and other key business units to lead the review, negotiation, and signing of a large volume of contracts.
- Provide advice and counseling on a broad spectrum of employment law issues, including: recruiting, employee relations, performance management, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour, internal investigations, compensation and benefits, privacy, contingent workforce issues, and immigration
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders and manage projects with a team-oriented approach
- Evaluate employment practices, policies, and processes to assess and execute priorities, and ensure compliance
- Draft and review employment-related agreements and templates
- Investigate and respond to claims, demand letters, administrative complaints, audits, and other employment-related inquiries
- Conduct audits, classification reviews, and support other compliance efforts
- Assist in managing outside counsel on labor and employment matters
- Assist in developing and conducting training and education programs for employees, managers, and the People team
- JD, and member of member of the California Bar (in good standing) or eligible to register as a California Registered In-House Counsel
- At least 7-8 years employment experience in a major law firm, an in-house legal department, or a combination of both; start-up experience is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a growing legal team and cross-functionally with members at all levels of the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, team-oriented attitude, and superior attention to detail
- Ability to evaluate risk in light of business and practical considerations and make clear recommendations
- Proactive, entrepreneurial approach to solving problems and developing creative processes - you see a problem or issue, you attack it head-on
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one state bar
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Educational budget to invest in your career development and growth
- Fitness/Commuter Benefit stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.