Senior Product Designer
Redwood City, CA; San Francisco, CA; Portland, OR
OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series C, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, Thrive Capital, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
We have surpassed 1,900+ government clients (and growing fast!) in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
About the Product Designer role
OpenGov is looking for a Senior Product Designer who is motivated, ready to learn, and excited to help local governments solve problems and better serve their citizens. You will use research and design tools to understand organization and user needs. You will utilize your design and research toolkit to understand user needs, communicate and prototype design solutions at varying levels of fidelity, and collaborate closely with Engineers and Product Managers to shape solutions and bring them to market.
We are looking for a highly organized, detailed designer who will bring ideas, tools, and processes that help our team collaborate and solve complex problems. You already know how to deal with constraints and a fast-paced environment, while holding yourself and the team to a standard of excellence and beauty.
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the governments and communities we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
A portfolio is required
To apply, send us your resume, portfolio of work samples, and a few words about why you are excited to help local governments become more effective and accountable.
• Leverage our product design principles and government personas to craft elegant, but practical solutions
• Design wireframes, mockups, and prototypes and validate them with users
• Work with Product Management and Engineering leaders to define use cases, requirements, customer journeys, and interactions.
• Use data from research and product analytics to understand customer needs, make decisions, and communicate solutions
• Contribute to our unified design system by leveraging reusable patterns across products
• Lead and coach junior designers through all phases of the design process
• Help our team choose the right methods and tools for creative problem solving
• Present your work to stakeholders across the company to receive feedback and communicate the value of design
Education and Experience
• 4-6 years of experience working in cross-functional product and engineering teams
• Strong understanding of how to apply human factors and user-centered design principles to software
• Recognized experience leading the design process from concept to implementable solution
• Strong communication skills and an ability to clearly present complex ideas to stakeholders
• Ability to start with complex data and customer workflows and drive toward simple and intuitive solutions
• A master of common design software tools (e.g. Sketch, Illustrator, InVision)
• Completed undergraduate or graduate degree in related field
• Experience applying various design research methods to gain insight and inform direction
• Experience designing for a variety of mediums and surfaces, including mobile devices and printed materials
• Experience with complex system and wicked problems in government, finance, and enterprise domains
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs and SF Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: $80 million, Series C company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Thrive Capital, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
» Growth: Quadruple growth with 1,900+ government customers (and counting) using our products!
» Perks: Fully stocked kitchens, daily breakfast and catered lunches, gym reimbursement, music room, zen room, foosball and pool table, Unlimited PTO and 11 paid holidays, 95% medical premium coverage for employees, fun events, and more! Just look at www.opengov.com/careers
» Product: Named a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, our cloud solution leverages cutting-edge technology to innovate on the core processes of Government. We're powering more effective and accountable government. Come join us and make a positive social impact!