Software Engineering Manager
OpenInvest, a J.P. Morgan Chase company, is a values-based financial services leader with a mission to align capital with social and environmental values. Founded in 2015 by FinTech and ESG veterans, OpenInvest’s platform unlocks a personalized and engaging end-to-end client experience, including dynamic custom indexing, impact reporting, proxy voting, and more.
Formerly a Public Benefit Corporation and supported in our mission by some of the biggest names in Silicon Valley like YCombinator, Andreessen Horowitz, and QED, OpenInvest was acquired by JPMC in June of 2021. JPMC services are used in half of all American households: join us to help design and offer sustainable finance solutions on the greatest scale, nationwide and across the world.
Visas: OpenInvest is unable to apply for new visas for candidates, but existing visas can be transferred
Note to candidates: You will be hired as an employee of J.P. Morgan Chase
Location: Anywhere in the US
What You’ll Do: Manage
- Lead and manage a team of software engineers, ensuring high-quality delivery of complex software systems
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are staffed with the right mix of technical expertise and experience and ensure they are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other, fostering inclusive conversations around technical decision-making
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
What You’ll Do: Ship
- Work effectively and collaborate with cross-functional partners and stakeholders (Business, Product, Design, etc.) to guide the product development process and help ensure we are building the right things at the right time
- Represent your team in executive and multi-functional meetings including engineering discussions with other teams
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly available products that delight our users.
- Collaborate with other engineering managers and tech leads to plan and coordinate resources, schedules, and priorities across multiple projects.
What You’ll Do: Ensure Technical Excellence
- Apply your technical expertise to maintain a high bar of excellence in code quality, system design and architecture, performance, and other aspects of technical quality.
- Provide technical mentorship such as PR reviews, pair programming, virtual whiteboarding, and technical designing
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Help push process and drive initiatives to integrate best engineering practices (testing, observability, documentation)
Who You Are
- You are a leader, and coach and enjoy creating opportunities for others
- You can guide and grow an excellent engineering team through planning, prioritization, and execution of work
- You have hands-on experience building scalable products in a fast-paced environment
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, and you’re committed to driving projects to completion
- You can work in cross-functional teams and can work with designers, engineers, and product managers to help build and maintain consumer-facing services and applications
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale
- You have a product mindset and apply that to how you would build out platform services
- You're curious and like to deep dive into different system architectures
- 7+ years of professional experience in software development
- 2+ years of engineering leadership experience and people management responsibilities (including feedback, performance, hiring, and career guidance)
- Experience with any or all of our tech stack: Python, React, AWS Cloud Infrastructure (and Service Oriented Architectures)
- A history of developing and delivering scalable, high-quality software for complex products
- Experience with building frameworks and software infrastructure for large-scale projects
Nice to Haves
- Experience or interest in financial services or asset management
- Technical background in building or maintaining products at scale within an enterprise environment
- Experience scaling software engineering teams and leading numerous teams and projects in a busy engineering department
- Interest in pushing the technology, people, and organization envelope to explore new ways we can deliver amazement to our end users and clients
- A fascination with how to make teams and people thrive and deep empathy towards engineering happiness.
OpenInvest’s core values are:
· Pursuing a challenging mission
· Thriving on transparency
· Maintaining high standards of integrity
· Guaranteeing the right to be heard
· Prioritizing personal growth
· Prioritizing diversity and inclusion
We aim to build a culture just as open and accountable as our products. We hold ourselves and our colleagues to high standards in how we treat each other, our communities, and our clients. As part of our team, you are willing to work hard, handle various responsibilities as necessary, and be passionate about long-term, company-wide goals. OpenInvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds in our team and culture.
OpenInvest is committed to supporting the needs of its candidates and employees. Please don’t hesitate to ask if there are any accommodations we can make for you either during the hiring process or upon joining the company.
· We also encourage you to apply for this opportunity on the JPMorgan Chase Careers page.