Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
San Francisco, CA /
OpenInvest is a fast-growing fintech company with a mission to align capital with social and environmental values. Formerly a Public Benefit Corporation and supported in our mission by some of the biggest names in Silicon Valley like YCombinator, Andreessen Horowitz, and QED, OpenInvest is now an independent subsidiary of J.P. Morgan Chase. JPMC services are used in half of all American households: join us to help design and offer sustainable finance solutions on the greatest scale, nationwide and across the world.
Location: Anywhere in the US. OpenInvest is based in San Francisco.
Visas: OpenInvest is unable to apply for new visas for candidates, but existing visas can be transferred.
Note to candidates: Start dates will be no earlier than 10/4/2021. You will onboard as an employee of J.P. Morgan Chase.
What You'll Do
- Help build, maintain and manage our backend services, APIs, frameworks, and platform
- Integrate our backend application into our consumer-facing frontend applications
- Write high quality, effective, scalable code maintaining best practices
- Contribute to observability and monitoring tools to detect issues, measure performance and produce telemetry for developers.
- Participate in code reviews, rotating on-call, architecture reviews, and project planning
- Work on release management, rollout & deployment of services
- Work cross-functionally with other stakeholders like the product, operations, and sales teams, to design and build services to support business goals
- Lead engineering projects and mentor other junior engineers
Who You Are
- 6+ years engineering experience, ideally building web-based applications
- Proven expertise in thinking through software architecture & infrastructure decisions
- Extensive experience with Python & related frameworks, libraries, and patterns
- Familiarity with front-end technologies like React
- Knowledge and proficiency in using object-relational mapping (ORM) and relational databases
- Experience designing and building robust, scalable, secure systems and technology solutions
- Proven understanding of microservices-oriented architecture and extensible REST APIs
- Comfortable working in an honest and transparent culture; providing and receiving meaningful and intentional feedback
- You are passionate about technology as a tool for solving problems
- You are a practical decision-maker that balances long-term and short-term concerns
- You are a product-minded problem solver
- You have a strong background or interest in building products or systems
- You are comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces
- You enjoy learning about and working with new technologies & systems
- You can adequately evaluate trade-offs between correctness, robustness, performance, space, and time
- You demonstrate a strong sense of personal ownership and integrity
- You have an honest, direct, and empathetic approach to relationships and personal growth
- You’re interested in collaborating both within the engineering team and across departments
- You want to change the world for the better
Nice to Haves
- Experience or interest in financial services or asset management
- Expertise in data engineering tooling and platforms
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure (AWS services, containers)
- Experience building and working in a microservice architecture
- Excellent troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Practical knowledge of agile software development methodologies (e.g., XP, scrum)
- Experience with continuous delivery and continuous integration
OpenInvest’s core values include:
· Pursuing a challenging mission
· Thriving on transparency
· Maintaining high standards of integrity
· Guaranteeing the right to be heard
· Prioritizing personal growth
· Prioritizing diversity and inclusion
We aim to build a culture just as open and accountable as our products. We encourage you to give and receive earnest and constructive feedback. As part of our team, you are willing to work hard, handle various responsibilities as necessary, and be passionate about long-term company-wide goals.
OpenInvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds in our team and culture. We are committed to including these elements in every aspect of our company.
OpenInvest is committed to supporting the needs of its candidates and employees. Please don’t hesitate to ask if there are any accommodations we can make for you either during the hiring process or on joining the company.