Senior Director of Business Development, EU & UK
OpenInvest is a leading US ESG technology firm. Our mission (embedded in our legal charter) is to build technology that helps mainstream values-based investing. We are a recognized industry brand in the US, backed by some of the leading players in Silicon Valley, including Andreessen-Horowitz, YCombinator, and QED, the founders of CapitalOne. We are growing quickly in the US, while beginning our market entry into Europe – the world’s largest market for ESG investment products and services. Our products include an automated custom-indexing platform, ESG asset management solutions, and an automated platform for generating SFDR regulatory compliant reporting (giving us a head start in this new, sweeping EU ESG reporting market).
We have already landed first clients in the UK and EU and we are looking for an experienced, senior hire to rapidly build and execute the larger regional strategy, and grow and establish our European office and presence.
We seek a capable, flexible, mission- and culture-aligned senior addition to our team, who has experience expanding scaling financial services solutions across Europe. This person should be comfortable acting independently and with good judgement from the start to build a new business, with proven experience building and managing a team as the EU office quickly grows. This hire will work closely with our US team to establish a transcontinental presence and leadership for OpenInvest.
We are flexible for the right candidate. However, to ensure a great fit on both sides, we would prefer a contract-to-hire arrangement. The candidate could commence on a short-term contract basis to flesh out our European expansion strategy. Assuming a good fit on both sides, the candidate would join full-time after an agreed review date. While your role may begin as an individual contributor, or leader of a 2-person starter team, we would hope you would quickly hire and lead a team as the market opportunity merits. You will report to Josh Levin, co-founder and Chief Strategy Officer, and coordinate with and be supported by the OpenInvest Business Development team.
OpenInvest is based out of San Francisco, though remote for public health reasons. This role will start remote. While we are open to considering other locations, we expect the most likely locations for the OpenInvest European office to ultimately be in Amsterdam or London. Candidates will need to have the right to work in the EU.
Our greatest priorities in looking at your background is evidence of expanding a business in our category (or adjacent) across Europe, successfully owning a new product strategy and execution, combined with experience in SaaS and financial services. A deep understanding of the ESG space is key, and strong networks with decision-makers in European financial institutions is a must. Given this role’s seniority, we also seek leadership traits including openness to feedback, commitment to excellence and diversity, and ownership of results. Finally, this person would need to deeply share our mission to use the financial system to accelerate the transition to a more inclusive, net-zero, generative economy.
- Build out OpenInvest’s EU/UK go-to-market strategy
- Manage and expand OpenInvest’s existing European enterprise clients with excellence
- Hire and manage EU team – i.e. establish OpenInvest’s EU office and operations
- Build, and execute on, an EU enterprise sales pipeline
- Liaise effectively with the San Francisco home office
- Experience launching and expanding a financial, technology, SaaS or compliance business across Europe in the Financial Services Industry
- Strong knowledge of and network within the European wealth and asset management ecosystem, including banks, consultants, etc.
- Strong knowledge of the European regulatory environment affecting the financial services industry (including TCFD, SFDR, EU sustainable finance taxonomy, EU Green Deal, etc.)
- Demonstrated senior relationship management skills, with experience of working in various cultural contexts to build collaboration between senior level individuals and large groups of stakeholders
- Experience in recruiting, developing, and leading a team with a high-integrity culture and a strong commitment to developing people
- Entrepreneurial; ability to act independently and assertively to grow a business
- Deep familiarity with Asset Management and the associated products
- Willingness to accommodate coordinating with colleagues in different time zones (especially West Coast USA), travel, etc.
- 7+ years relevant work experience, preferably mostly in Europe in the Financial Services Industry
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; English language fluency
Nice to Haves
- Experience and track record with ESG and/or impact investment (e.g. measurement and reporting, data and AI, strategy, and consulting)
- French language ability
- Experience working with or for a US-based firm
- Experience in corporate strategy or strategy consulting
- Deep understanding and experience of the climate policy environment and convening opportunities (e.g. COP)
- Relationships with leading coalitions and convening bodies currently shaping the sustainable finance debate in Europe/UK
- Known/published/frequent speaker on sustainable finance
- MBA or master’s degree
OpenInvest’s core values include:
· Pursuing a challenging mission
· Thriving on transparency
· Maintaining high standards of integrity
· Guaranteeing the right to be heard
· Prioritizing personal growth
· Prioritizing diversity and inclusion
We aim to build a culture just as open and accountable as our products. We encourage you to give and receive earnest and constructive feedback. As part of our team, you are willing to work hard, handle various responsibilities as necessary, and be passionate about long-term company-wide goals.
OpenInvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds in our team and culture. We are committed to including these elements in every aspect of our company.