ESG Product Associate: Research & Strategy
San Francisco, CA /
OpenInvest is a fast-growing fintech company with a mission to align capital with social and environmental values. Formerly a Public Benefit Corporation and supported in our mission by some of the biggest names in Silicon Valley like YCombinator, Andreessen Horowitz, and QED, OpenInvest is now an independent subsidiary of J.P. Morgan Chase. JPMC services are used in half of all American households: join us to help design and offer sustainable finance solutions on the greatest scale, nationwide and across the world.
We are looking for a Sustainable Investing Associate to help us build and execute our ESG product and research strategy. We are a leading provider of ESG-optimized investment solutions, and are looking for a committed team member to maintain and grow our suite of personalized, sustainable investing products. You will help us implement our highly differentiated ESG data set as we roll out new ESG causes and evolve existing ones.
Location: San Francisco strongly preferred (currently remote)
Visas: OpenInvest is unable to apply for new visas for candidates, but existing visas can be transferred.
You will be asked to complete a homework assignment during the interview process.
What You'll Do
- Spearhead research efforts to identify, screen, and recommend novel datasets for ESG products, particularly new and existing Causes
- Collaborate with senior product managers to design ESG product methodologies
- Generate new ideas/approaches for tangible impact metrics
- Write research and methodology documentation for new and updated ESG products
- Research market best practices and opportunities for continued enhancements of ESG products; conduct market assessment to inform existing Cause prioritization and new Cause development
- Collaborate with senior product managers to identify applicable data sources and design Cause-aligned scoring methodologies across investment asset classes
- As needed, support content generation around our differentiated ESG approach and relevant sustainability themes/trends
- Alongside team members, serve as subject matter expert on OpenInvest data sources and methodology across all ESG products
- Researching interesting individual companies on ESG factors
- Supporting internal ESG education program
- Collaborating with other OpenInvest teams (possibly including Product, Marketing and Engineering) on any and all ESG initiatives
Who You Are
- 3-5 years of experience in ESG, Sustainability or SRI-related research (including impact investing, policy and/or NGO experience)
- Familiarity with investment products and asset management
- Strong data analysis skills and analytical mindset
- Experience presenting ESG data and solutions to clients and non-experts
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Ability to present complex information in compelling and relatable terms
- Experience with Excel
- Strong sense of ownership and responsibility to colleagues and clients
- High degree of comfort with both approaching new challenges independently and close collaboration with colleagues as the situation requires
- Passion for ESG issues and interest in a values-led approach to sustainable investing
- Profound intellectual curiosity and adaptability
- Strong initiative, entrepreneurial spirit and ability to think creatively
- A critical thinker with an inquiry-driven approach to solving problems
- Exceptional writing and verbal presentation skills
- Ability to excel in a high-performance environment while managing multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with others
Nice to Haves
- Experience with ESG financial products and providers (MSCI, Sustainalytics, Refinitiv)
- Research specialization in an area applicable to Sustainable Investing
- Experience with SQL and/or Python
- Experience in ESG-focused education or communication efforts
- Experience in ESG assessment of Fixed Income, Alternative Investment vehicles, Donor Advised Funds (DAFs) and/or philanthropic initiatives
- Experience with digital product management in an Agile environment
OpenInvest’s core values include:
· Pursuing a challenging mission
· Thriving on transparency
· Maintaining high standards of integrity
· Guaranteeing the right to be heard
· Prioritizing personal growth
· Prioritizing diversity and inclusion
We aim to build a culture just as open and accountable as our products. We encourage you to give and receive earnest and constructive feedback. As part of our team, you are willing to work hard, handle various responsibilities as necessary, and be passionate about long-term company-wide goals.
OpenInvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds in our team and culture. We are committed to including these elements in every aspect of our company.
OpenInvest is committed to supporting the needs of its candidates and employees. Please don’t hesitate to ask if there are any accommodations we can make for you either during the hiring process or on joining the company.