Senior R&D Software Engineer
OpenInvest, a J.P. Morgan Chase company, is a values-based financial services leader with a mission to align capital with social and environmental values. Founded in 2015 by FinTech and ESG veterans, OpenInvest’s platform unlocks a personalized and engaging end-to-end client experience, including dynamic custom indexing, impact reporting, proxy voting, and more.
Formerly a Public Benefit Corporation and supported in our mission by some of the biggest names in Silicon Valley like YCombinator, Andreessen Horowitz, and QED, OpenInvest was acquired by JPMC in June of 2021. JPMC services are used in half of all American households: join us to help design and offer sustainable finance solutions on the greatest scale, nationwide and across the world.
Visas: OpenInvest is unable to apply for new visas for candidates, but existing visas can be transferred
Note to candidates: You will be hired as an employee of J.P. Morgan Chase
Location: Anywhere in the US
What You’ll Do
- Help research and develop new tools and technologies that enable OI to deliver personalized financial solutions at scale
- Lead and contribute to the OpenInvest R&D team’s research projects, collaborate with other researchers on projects
- Work closely with OpenInvest’s engineering team to integrate outputs of the R&D team’s work into JPMC infrastructure
- Participate in code reviews, architecture reviews (with engineering), and project planning
- In some instances, you may need to work on release management, rollout & deployment of r&d projects
- Work cross-functionally with other stakeholders like the product, design, and sales enablement teams, to help define and set r&d roadmap/directions
- Mentor other junior researchers or engineers
Who You Are
- 3+ years experience in a research and/or software engineering capacity
- 3+ years of Experience in one (or several) of the following disciplines: Quantitative Finance, Data Science/Machine Learning, Software Engineering
- Have a research mindset: comfortable driving and setting your own individual research goals, but also proactive about coming up for air to share findings with teammates, and working with stakeholders to get guidance on potential applications of findings
- Comfortable switching context between research, and engineering considerations that are important for implementing your work into a real product
- Extensive experience with Python & any frameworks, libraries, and patterns that relate to your experience in the above disciplines. Experience using SQL to query databases
- A strong analytical and quantitative mindset. Ideally, you have some in-depth technical expertise within any of the following (broad) areas: Optimization techniques (convex, linear, MIP), Supervised and unsupervised learning algorithms, classification and regression techniques, natural language processing
- Demonstrated an aptitude to quickly pick up and apply new technical competencies
- Comfortable working in an honest and transparent culture; providing and receiving meaningful and intentional feedback
Nice to Haves
- Proven track record demonstrating end-to-end ownership of research projects - from idea creation to implementation into production
- Knowledge/Familiarity with patterns for the deployment of ML models at scale
- Comfortable writing high-quality, effective, scalable code maintaining best practices
- MS or Ph.D. in STEM or a related field
OpenInvest’s core values are:
· Pursuing a challenging mission
· Thriving on transparency
· Maintaining high standards of integrity
· Guaranteeing the right to be heard
· Prioritizing personal growth
· Prioritizing diversity and inclusion
We aim to build a culture just as open and accountable as our products. We hold ourselves and our colleagues to high standards in how we treat each other, our communities, and our clients. As part of our team, you are willing to work hard, handle various responsibilities as necessary, and be passionate about long-term, company-wide goals. OpenInvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds in our team and culture.
OpenInvest is committed to supporting the needs of its candidates and employees. Please don’t hesitate to ask if there are any accommodations we can make for you either during the hiring process or upon joining the company.
· We also encourage you to apply for this opportunity on the JPMorgan Chase Careers page.