Software Development Engineer
We’ve got a pretty good thing going on here at OpenMarket. We’re leaders of a mobile industry that's transforming the way customer obsessed businesses communicate with their customers. Join our team: we're friendly, caring, weirdly tenacious, and fun.
The world’s biggest brands seek us out because we love finding ways to help them make their customers’ lives easier. It’s this obsession with customer experience that helps us develop software, technology and processes that competitors all over the world desire.
We’re seeking enthusiastic, collaborative and resourceful people from a range of backgrounds who know how to get things done. Success comes from our culture, diversity and dynamic global team so we value people who are authentic, take ownership, and deliver together. Does this sound like you?
About the engineering teams
Writing services that process literally billions of operations every month comes with some pretty interesting challenges. We approach those challenges by keeping teams small and trusting them to get the job done.
We build highly-available services that maintain their performance under pressure, and we do it by combining proven technologies (Linux, Java, MySQL) with shiny new things where we see real value. Teams choose the best tool for the job, meaning there's plenty of opportunity to learn. For example, recent projects in one team have used Kotlin and Python 3 asyncio, while other teams have made different choices (e.g. MongoDB, node.js).
About the role
OpenMarket is seeking Java developers to design, build, configure, and test application software. Working on a small, dedicated service team, you will ensure your services are able to scale while maintaining high-performance in a 99.99% up-time environment.
Do you value being empowered to own the work you do? Our development teams own the deployment, operation and monitoring of their services, and work closely with our dedicated customer support teams to make sure our services work in practice, not just in theory.
What you'll be doing:
- You will be working on the continued evolution of OpenMarket's core SMS delivery platform
- You will be responsible for designing, building, and testing services
- You will primarily work with Java
What to bring:
- A collaborative working style—communicate and work well in our team environment
- Java server-side software design and development
- Creative and analytical problem-solving skills
- Solid practices around testing to ensure quality (e.g. unit testing, TDD, integration testing, performance testing)
- Willingness to promote standards and methodologies within your team
- Desire to seek new challenges and grow your career
- Understanding of version control; we use Git
Nice to have:
- Experience with RESTful web services and microservices
- Familiarity with persistence (SQL or NoSql) and data modeling
- Familiarity with dependency injection frameworks (Spring, Guice)
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies
- Hands-on experience in cloud computing, preferably in AWS
- Familiarity with platform monitoring concepts
- Working knowledge of Linux such as scripting and command line tools
- A Bachelor's Degree in computer science or equivalent experience
You'll be a great fit if
- You love being a part of a small, dynamic, and agile team that encourages you to learn and grow
- You desire to work with some of the world’s top brands
- You love finding solutions to interesting problems and figuring out how things work
- You welcome having autonomy with complex tasks
- You are passionate about using your experience and expertise to inspire the team
- 25 days vacation per year
- Contributory pension scheme
- Flexible working (flexible hours, remote working options)
- Health, dental, optical, travel, life and disability insurance to choose from
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free breakfast
- Pool table, ping pong table, table tennis, PS4, Nintendo Switch, board games
- Pizza and drinks in the office on the last Thursday of the month
This position is open in London, GB.
OpenMarket embraces diversity and is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer.
Employment in this position may be contingent upon successful completion of a criminal and/or credit background investigation.