Lead Database Specialist
Seattle, Washington, United States
We’ve got a pretty good thing going on here at OpenMarket. We’re leaders of a mobile industry that's transforming the way customer obsessed businesses communicate with their customers. Join our team: we're friendly, caring, weirdly tenacious, and fun.
The world’s biggest brands seek us out because we love finding ways to help them make their customers’ lives easier. It’s this obsession with customer experience that helps us develop software, technology and processes that competitors all over the world desire.
We’re seeking enthusiastic, collaborative and resourceful people from a range of backgrounds who know how to get things done. Success comes from our culture, diversity and dynamic global team so we value people who are authentic, take ownership, and deliver together. Does this sound like you?
Lead Database Specialist
This is a dynamic role with high emphasis on being self-motivated to solve the task at hand. There is no ‘typical day’ in the Operations team as new challenges are presented daily. You will ensure that good decisions are being made and procedures are being followed. Where gaps are found in process or infrastructure, you will take ownership to resolve them. When services are interrupted, you will be responsive and restore functionality in a timely and efficient manner.
You will work closely with coworkers in other offices and time zones on the constantly evolving mission to achieve zero down time of services hosted by Operations. This team is constantly innovating new approaches to improve efficiency, automate repetitive work and reduce manual tasks.
What you'll be doing
- You will lead and inspire the team using your experience and expertise.
- You will provide day-to-day support of global production and test database systems
- You will engage in projects to design and implement new technology solutions, meet specific business needs, solve problems, or improve the database team's offerings
- You will participate in 24/7 team on-call responsibilities to respond to emergency situations and perform scheduled maintenance
- You will collaborate with other teams to resolve issues and determine solutions
- You will contribute to and maintaining documentation for databases processes and procedures
- You will explore new technologies (cloud and on-prem) to help drive innovation and modernization within our services
- You will mentor development teams during design and optimization of new and key high volume systems
What to bring
- Advanced experience configuring and deploying MySQL/MariaDB database in a critical production environment
- Moderate level of experience working in a Linux environment
- Proven scripting proficiency in Python and/or Bash
- Well versed in planning, maintaining and execution of MySQL/MariaDB database failover and backup strategies
- Experience deploying and maintaining both MySQL/MariaDB in production
- Experience with performance optimization of high volume DB systems
- Experience with change control processes, security reviews, and maintenance procedures
- Good written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of clients and staff
- Ability to diagnose and remedy serious issues promptly and effectively
- Strong analytical skills in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to multitask and keep track of the various work you're doing with consideration to project deadlines
- Ability to work independently but also be productive in a collaborative team setting
- Comfortable with actively coaching, mentoring, and giving feedback, as well as receiving and acting upon feedback from others
- Experience with long term strategic planning at a global level
Nice to have
- Knowledge and understanding of NoSQL database technologies such as Hive, Hadoop, HBase and Cassandra
- Understanding of database containerization principles
- Experience in cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- MariaDB ColumnStore (formerly InfiniDB) or other OLAP database technology
- Experience with Oracle
You'll be a great fit if
- You love being a part of a small, dynamic, and agile team that encourages you to learn and grow
- You desire to work with some of the world’s top brands
- You love finding solutions to interesting problems
- You welcome having autonomy with complex tasks
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience required.
This position is open in Seattle, WA.
OpenMarket embraces diversity and is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer.
We are unable to sponsor new U.S. work visas at this time.
Employment in this position may be contingent upon successful completion of a criminal and/or credit background investigation.