Software Development Manager - Data Management
We’ve got a pretty good thing going on here at OpenMarket. We’re leaders of a mobile industry that's transforming the way customer obsessed businesses communicate with their customers. Join our team: we're friendly, caring, weirdly tenacious, and fun.
The world’s biggest brands seek us out because we love finding ways to help them make their customers’ lives easier. It’s this obsession with customer experience that helps us develop software, technology and processes that competitors all over the world desire.
We’re seeking enthusiastic, collaborative and resourceful people from a range of backgrounds who know how to get things done. Success comes from our culture, diversity and dynamic global team so we value people who are authentic, take ownership, and deliver together. Does this sound like you?
About the role:
Are you passionate about data? Are you interested in data-related technologies such as Apache Druid, Kafka? Do you enjoy breaking down large, multi-functional technical problems into meaningful chunks and leading the resources required to make things happen? Do you want to play a key role in building great development teams?
OpenMarket is currently seeking a Software Development Manager to lead a technical data team. You will provide guidance and support to your team throughout the software development lifecycle as they build projects and services in an agile environment. You will provide mentoring to team members and give them guidance on their career growth. You will help plan what the team will work on each month and ensure that this matches the priorities that our Product Analyst has.
About the team:
The main system the team works on is an events platform which uses Kafka as an underlying technology. Teams throughout the company write events from their services whenever something significant happens that would be useful for reporting or billing or for the support team to use for debugging. Our events platform processes all these which total about 1.5 billion events daily and makes them available to be read from a single place.
The team needs to ensure that the services are able to scale while maintaining high-performance in a 99.99% up-time environment. The events system is the underlying system behind all of OpenMarket’s billing and reporting and our future data analysis. The team is one of four teams which makes up the Data team.
What to bring
- Experience in development team management (either formal or informal)
- A collaborative working style to champion OpenMarket's culture and team environment
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, across technical matters and business discussions
- Ability to analyze business requirements and drive projects to deliver value to meet customer needs
- Ability to work through roadblocks and provide solutions
- Ability to cultivate a positive work environment
- Enthusiasm for actively mentoring and giving feedback, as well as receiving feedback from others
- Ability to recognize how your own behavior influences others
- Willingness to have an advocacy mindset to address the needs of your team
- Ability to navigate difficult conversations
- Desire to learn more to improve management skills even further
- Ability to effectively conduct interviews to evangelize OpenMarket and evaluate culture fit
- Passionate about driving and defining OpenMarket processes, such as: recruiting, training, career progression, etc.
- Ability to contribute to software design discussions and solve problems while considering the bigger picture
- Experience with high availability and scalability of data services and webservices
- Experience with server-side software design
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies
Nice to have
- Experience with Java
- Experience working with data systems
We'd love to hear from you if
- You love leading small, dynamic, and agile teams that encourage you to learn and grow
- You care about working with some of the world’s top brands
- You love finding solutions to interesting problems
- You welcome having autonomy with complex tasks
- You are passionate about using your experience and expertise to inspire the team
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
This position is open in London, GB.
OpenMarket embraces diversity and is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer.
Employment in this position may be contingent upon successful completion of a criminal and/or credit background investigation.