💫 Customer Support Representative
OpenPhone is a new type of phone for business. We're on the mission to help professionals communicate better and are looking for someone to join our Customer Experience team to help out.
You'll be primarily focused on customer support and making sure our users get their questions answered in an elegant and efficient way.
You'll need to understand all the ins and outs of our product and help our users customize OpenPhone to fit their needs. We use our own product so you'll become an OpenPhone expert very quickly.
Communication products are much more complicated than they seem. You'll be frequently translating convoluted telecom or engineering terminology into clear, human language. Ideally, this is something you're passionate about.
Since we're a small team, we wear multiple hats and move fast. This role will be a good fit if you're not afraid to roll up your sleeves and contribute to different areas of the business.
Here are some things you’ll do:
- Answer user questions over email, chat and phone (using OpenPhone, of course)
- Teach customers how to make the most out of OpenPhone
- Identify the systemic flaws that lead to user problems
- Translate user confusion into product feedback
- Work with our Engineering team to find and fix bugs
- Turn customer questions into useful documentation - help articles, how-to videos, saved replies
You don’t necessarily need experience, but you should:
- Have a Bachelor Degree or something you feel is equivalent
- Have exceptional writing skills (bonus points for a good sense of humor - telecommunications shouldn't be boring)
- Communicate ideas clearly over text, email, and phone
- Have a proven track record of being incredibly resourceful and finding solutions even when there is no clear path
- Be comfortable thinking on your feet
- Always seek to answer the question behind the question
- Exercise great attention to detail in everything you do
- Enjoy getting new skills and be excited to learn the ins and outs of the product
- Stay calm and collected while working on many things at once
- Be proficient with technology and able to pick up new tools quickly (we run on OpenPhone, Intercom, Notion, Retool, Linear and Canny)
- Be able to work EST / CST or PST hours (most of our customers are in North America)
To give us an idea of your writing and thought process, please answer any 2 out of the 3 questions below. There is a spot to upload your answers when you apply. Don't worry about trying to guess how we would respond. We're just looking to get a sense of your work.
1. Text messages can fail to send for a variety of reasons. How would you explain to a customer the reason a text message they sent through OpenPhone failed to send?
2. A customer reached out to OpenPhone support asking about a feature we don’t currently have (and it's not coming up in the near future). How would you handle that and what would you reply to them with? Please also tell us a little about why you answered this way. What is your thought process behind it?
3. Explain to a customer how to connect OpenPhone to Slack. Use our documentation in help.openphone.co as a resource.
We're building the new type of phone for business. Most entrepreneurs and professionals either use their personal phone numbers for business or a clunky phone system from the 90s. We think there's a better way. Today, OpenPhone is the easiest way to have a supercharged business phone number, on top of your existing devices.
We're already serving 6,000+ professionals around the world and it's very clear that we're building something people want.
We're backed by Slow Ventures, Y Combinator and some of the best investors in the Bay Area.
If you're looking to make a huge impact at early stage, let's get to know one another.
We are also an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.