VP of Marketing
San Francisco, Remote /
For millions of teams working in dozens of industries, day-to-day business gets done on the phone. So why—despite the huge leaps we've taken in design and usability—does most business phone software still look, feel, and act like it was born in the 90s?
OpenPhone is changing that. We're the modern, sophisticated answer to the clunky, outdated phone systems that have been slowing down businesses for years. And after earning 20,000 happy customers and 56M in funding in just four years, it's safe to say we're onto something big.
Our team is curious, ambitious, and dedicated to their crafts. We're high trust with a strong bias for action. If you're looking for a place to do your life's work, get in touch. We'd love to hear from you.
We are looking for a leader we can count on to
- Craft and execute a growth strategy that will drive revenue, continue to build OpenPhone’s brand, and engage new and existing customers.
- Develop a clear positioning for the product and differentiate OpenPhone in a busy market.
- Build a world-class team marketing team.
- Create sensible processes and iterate on them (once we outgrow them).
- Lead with empathy and humility.
Why you should be excited about this role
- We’ve already shown impressive (mostly organic) growth through word of mouth and content marketing. Of course, there’s a lot more to be done, but you will have a great foundation to build from.
- We’re building something people really want and are very lucky to have incredibly passionate customers. Just check out our G2 reviews.
- You’ll help us bring a modern product to 33+ million small businesses in the US & Canada currently running on legacy phone solutions.
- We’ve got a very strong land & expand motion (200%+ net revenue retention for teams).
- You'll work with the team that has a lot of appreciation for marketing. You won't have to fight for a seat at the table.
- We’ve just raised our $40 million Series B led by Tiger Global and a meaningful portion of the round will be invested into our go-to-market.
Why this might not be a good fit
- You prefer products that have a very specific persona. At OpenPhone, we serve thousands of small businesses and startups across industries (tech, professional services, real estate, etc.) and use cases (sales, support, operations, etc.)
- You’re used to Enterprise (high ACV) products primarily distributed through the Sales motion. While we’re working on going upmarket, our core customer base consists of small and mid-size businesses.
- We’re a very fast-moving team which means priorities and initiatives can change quickly. If you’re not used to fast-paced environments, this won’t be the right fit.
- You've led the whole marketing org (10+ people) and, ideally, have a product marketing background. You've seen the journey from $10M to $50M ARR in a SaaS company and want to do it again 😊
- You have experience with high-velocity b2b SaaS.
- Your team has been able to sustainably drive growth through demand generation, content, and brand marketing.
- You have a track record of hiring, developing, and supporting exceptional marketing teams.
- You're highly analytical and can monitor, analyze, and iterate on programs across the funnel.
- You are an exceptional communicator and can distill complexity and industry jargon into simple messaging our customers will resonate with.
- You like to move fast and achieve ambitious goals.
- You have sufficient overlap with PST in your working day.
OpenPhone is a new type of business phone. Our mission is to help people communicate better and be more productive.
We’re backed by Y Combinator and the best venture firms including Tiger Global, Craft Ventures, Slow Ventures, Kindred Ventures, and others. We're serving thousands of businesses around the world and growing quickly. We take a lot of pride in providing an exceptional customer experience and a product people love. Our customers rated us #1 on all possible categories on G2 Crowd.
We're a distributed team working from around the world - San Francisco, Seattle, Ottawa, Moscow, Manila, Sydney, and many more.
We are committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.