User Interface Designer
Remote - Boston Preferred /
About Optimus Ride
Optimus Ride is an autonomous mobility service provider on a mission to drive the future of transportation. We develop and own the full AV tech stack and user experience–algorithms, software, hardware, and system integration–for autonomous, electric rides for communities near and far. We’re focused on driving innovation and delivering convenient, turnkey transportation services for master planned communities, corporate and academic campuses, and mixed use developments. We’re driven to create safe, sustainable, and equitable transportation solutions for all.
Optimus Ride is headquartered in the Boston Seaport District, not far from our old stomping ground at MIT. From the boardroom to the test track, our teammates (affectionately referred to as Optimists) bring deep industry and subject matter expertise, a collaborative and focused work ethic, and an optimistic outlook on the future of autonomous, sustainable, community-serving transportation.
Optimus Ride is focused on a rapid path to market in order to maximize the benefits of self-driving mobility for all. The Design teams play a key role in this mission by crafting the user platforms and user experience for our next-generation autonomous mobility ecosystem. These platforms are especially exciting, as they are often the first point of contact between the self-driving vehicles and our passengers, clients, or other partners. In many cases we are designing for a technology and user journey that hasn’t been designed for before – a challenge we thrive on.
As a user interface designer, you will work in an interdisciplinary role to help design both our user-facing applications and enterprise software platforms. Your responsibilities will span across the entire product lifecycle including ideation, prototyping, design, and development. The nature of our company means you will interface regularly with other engineering teams to ensure our user-facing products integrate seamlessly into our self-driving vehicle experience.
The ideal candidate should have an eye for clean and modern design, possess superior UI skills and be able to translate high-level requirements into interaction flows and artifacts, and transform them into elegant, intuitive, and functional user interfaces.
- Collaborate with product management and engineering to define and implement innovative solutions for the product direction, visuals and experience
- Execute visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to engineering
- Conceptualize original ideas that bring simplicity and intuitiveness to complex design systems and challenges
- Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards
- Help create/maintain standard UI components and style guides for company-wide use
- Effectively communicate your designs to developers and other key stakeholders
- Conduct industry research and stay up-to-date on best practices, competitor UI designs and emerging technologies
- Support the QA team to make sure features are implemented as intended
- Address product, marketing and business needs
- Bachelor's degree in Design, related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of commercial design experience and proven track record
- Demonstrable UI design skills with a strong portfolio
- Hands-on experience creating wireframes, prototypes, storyboards, user flows, etc
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Balsamiq, or other visual design tools
- Creative ideas with problem solving mindset
- Excellent visual design skills with sensitivity to user-system interaction
- Deep understanding of mobile-first and responsive design
- Ability to present your designs and sell your solutions to various stakeholders
- Up-to-date with the latest UI and UX trends, techniques, and technologies
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
- Please upload your portfolio and/or provide link(s) to relevant work.
Benefits and Working Environment
At Optimus Ride, we strive to support our employees by offering competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits and a world class working environment that is centered around the team. We nurture creativity and provide expansive opportunities for growth and development.
Optimus Ride provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.