Director of Hardware
Engineering - Product Development
About Optimus Ride
Optimus Ride is a self-driving vehicle startup working to enable safe, sustainable, and equitable mobility solutions. Our mission is to transform cities and pave the way for a more sustainable future through the introduction of self-driving technologies.
Optimus Ride headquarters are located in the Boston Seaport District. Our team hails from a diverse set of backgrounds, and cumulatively has decades of experience building self-driving vehicles, electric vehicles, manufacturing robots, surgical robots, autonomous drones, underwater robots, and more. We aim for a highly collaborative, hands-on, and open environment where peers learn from each other while building technologies for real-world environments.
Transportation is for everyone, and we create a better product when our team reflects our users. We constantly strive for a culture where under-indexed groups are welcome and can flourish.
The Director of Hardware (HW) will direct a team of mechanical, electrical, manufacturing engineers, and technicians to develop production level HW for self-driving vehicles. The director will be responsible for planning and directing all aspects of HW engineering activities within Optimus Ride including projects, initiatives, and processes to conform with the company’s established policies and objectives. The Director will be responsible for providing vision, strategy, and leadership for the HW team. The Director must possess a team-oriented mindset and the ability to work with a wide range of individuals, including world-class thinkers on product & software engineering side as well as with external partners. Director candidates that possess experience in shipping product in the robotics and/or automotive/transportation space are preferred.
- Lead the HW engineering team through the entire product development lifecycle including the utilization of common practices, methodologies, and processes/tools.
- Develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish HW project plans and deliver on team and individual commitments.
- Work closely with the software development group, project managers, systems engineers, and the account management team to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery of tasks.
- Lead engagement with external partners such as vehicle OEMs, Tier one suppliers, and other suppliers to meet product development goals.
- Provide guidance and direction to direct report, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Identify and implement continuous improvements for the hardware department on products, technologies, processes, tools, methods, and functional competencies.
- Identify the developmental needs of the team. Provide coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Successfully recruit, manage, motivate and retain members of the hardware engineering team.
- Participate in strategic planning to define technical direction to reach new business objectives.
- Deliver critical, timely communication to the leadership team on hardware development and delivery.
- Participate in the high-level architecture and design of electromechanical systems as required.
- MS and/or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 5-10 years industrial experience in developing and shipping products in the robotics and/or automotive/transportation sectors
- Deep expertise in the design and integration of electro-mechanical systems
- Experience with design for manufacturing
- Experience in team leadership and management/coordination of hardware teams
- High EQ, with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to drive consensus with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong project management and organizational skills and detail orientation
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time.
- Experience with self-driving vehicles
- Experience with vehicle OEMs or Tier one automotive suppliers
We are open to reviewing resumes of candidates who may not have these qualities yet, but demonstrate the potential to learn them on the job.
Benefits and Perks
At Optimus Ride, we understand that everyone has a unique situation outside of work. We strive to support our employees by offering competitive compensation and benefits, including flexible work, family leave, and paid time off policies.