Software Engineer - Backend Developer
Engineering - Product Development
About Optimus Ride
Optimus Ride is a self-driving vehicle startup working to enable safe, sustainable, and equitable mobility solutions. Our mission is to transform cities and pave the way for a more sustainable future through the introduction of self-driving technologies.
Optimus Ride headquarters are located in the Boston Seaport District but the Deployment Site is located in South Weymouth, MA. Our team hails from a diverse set of backgrounds, and cumulatively has decades of experience building self-driving vehicles, electric vehicles, manufacturing robots, surgical robots, autonomous drones, underwater robots, and more. We aim for a highly collaborative, hands-on, and open environment where peers learn from each other while building technologies for real-world environments.
Transportation is for everyone, and we create a better product when our team reflects our users. We constantly strive for a culture where under-indexed groups are welcome and can flourish.
Optimus Ride is focused on a rapid path to market in order to maximize the benefits of self-driving technologies for all. The Fleet Software Team plays a key role in this mission by building the products to manage our autonomous ride service. These platforms are especially exciting because they are often the first point of contact between the self-driving vehicles and our passengers, clients, and other partners. As a backend developer, you will have the opportunity to build new, complete products from the ground up in order to solve important problems for our riders and operations team. Your responsibilities will span across the entire product lifecycle including design, development, and maintenance. You will also interface regularly with other, interdisciplinary teams to seamlessly integrate the fleet software products with our self-driving vehicles.
- Design and implement applications under scalable microservice architectures
- Develop multiple products spanning both web and mobile for internal and external customers
- Write production-quality code that is robust, reliable, and efficient
- Own products throughout their lifecycle including testing, debugging, and maintaining code
- Engage in product team processes (design documentation, code reviews, scrum, etc.)
- BS in computer science or a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- Familiarity with the Linux ecosystem, software development experience in Linux platform
- Source control using Git or similar
- Proficiency writing software using languages such as Scala, Python
- Backend web development experience including HTTP and WebSockets, REST API design and implementation, and SSL/TLS
- Network programming, TCP/IP
- Scripting (Bash, Python)
- Relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Strong interest in self-driving cars, urban mobility, sustainability
- Learning mindset
- Excellent communication skills in written and verbal English
- Have built customer-facing products from the ground up
- Experience working on an agile/scrum product team
- Experience with continuous integration and deployment, Jenkins
- Containerized/virtualized software development and deployment using Docker, Vagrant
- Experience with RPC systems (gRPC, Thrift, etc.)
- Non-relational databases (HBase, MongoDB)
- Experience with cloud (AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Fluency in functional programming idioms & concepts
Benefits and Working Environment
At Optimus Ride, we strive to support our employees by offering competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits and a world class working environment that is centered around the team. We nurture creativity and provide expansive opportunities for growth and development.