Head of Software Engineering
New York, NY /
Software Engineering /
OptionMetrics is seeking a Head of Software Engineering to join our team. You'll be hands-on in developing applications accessing large financial data sets, managing and mentoring developers across locations, and working alongside the CEO to assist with strategies. You'll work with exceptionally creative and intelligent developers and quants, collaborating daily to brainstorm and implement our next generation of data and analytic information products. We're small, agile, casual (no suits – shoes optional), and passionate about our mission and the projects we create. Since we are self-funded and profitable (no VCs!), we can afford to take the long view, emphasizing quality over expediency in all we do. As a member of our development team, you will have true ownership over your projects from beginning to end, with an emphasis on accountability over micromanagement.
Our Technology Stack:
- Languages: Java, Python, C++
- Databases: Postgres, MS SQL Server
- Frameworks: Spring Boot, Serverless, Vue
- Data Analysis: AWS EMR, Spark, Athena
The Head of Software Engineering Will:
- Have at least 6 years of experience in software engineering, ideally with Java and some Python
- Have 2 - 4 years of people management experience over multiple locations, including hiring, coaching, mentoring, providing feedback, and career development for software engineers
- Be passionate about teamwork, collaboration, coaching, and mentoring software developers to deliver high-quality software on time. You love developing and growing engineers and have a track record of doing so.
- Work with the CEO to develop architecture and big picture vision/strategies
- Partner with other teams to ensure timely delivery addressing business plans
- Have experience in cultivating a strong engineering culture in an iterative, agile environment
- Enjoy the challenge of researching data issues to maintain quality in our large data sets
What We Offer:
- A collaborative environment where everyone's input makes a difference
- Paid time off: Vacation, Personal, Sick days, and Holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits (NJT, MTA, etc.) and 401k plan offered
- Full medical and dental insurance coverage
- A bright, open office in Midtown Manhattan near Columbus Circle and steps from Central Park with a great view of Times Square
- The usual drinks and snacks (and we're still small enough to celebrate everyone's birthday with cake!)
NOTE: This position will begin remotely with the expectation of returning to the office once practicable.
OptionMetrics began over 20 years ago with the goal of becoming the world's most trusted provider of financial information and research derived from the option markets. Today, our data and analytics models are used by over 350 investment banks, hedge funds, asset management firms, and academic institutions worldwide.