Additive Robotics Engineer
730 Lincoln Lake Ave Lowell MI 49331
Mechanical Engineering /
In – Person
5+ Years of experience.
US Citizenship Required
You (the Advanced Manufacturing Engineer) will be responsible for the research and development of new manufacturing tools and processes to incorporate additive manufacturing into aircraft prototypes and production vehicles.
The focus your responsibilities to achieve this will be three-fold:
1. Support the development of large format, multi-function 6-axis robot cells.
2. Research and development of novel additive manufacturing tools, techniques, and materials.
3. Collaborate closely with engineering design teams to improve the manufacturability and reduce costs of current and future airframes during the detail design phase.
The ideal candidate should be a manufacturing and/or mechanical engineer with a background in robotics, additive manufacturing - and a passion for aviation. You will make decisions every day that have a tangible impact on our mission. May be required to travel for demonstrations. Orb is a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment - the ideal candidate should be ready to hit the ground running.
Other duties of the Manufacturing Engineer:
- Create detailed manufacturing work instructions, operating procedures, workstation and line layouts for robot cell production lines.
- Design assembly fixturing, tooling and equipment to scale up manufacturing of both prototype and production airframe builds.
- Analyze novel manufacturing processes using root cause analysis, statistical methods, and gauge repeatability using physical testing.
- Drive manufacturing processes, equipment, and tooling projects to support prototype and production builds.
- Creating internal standards for quantifying the quality of additively manufactured parts.
- Work with our technical team to support manufacturing activities, and design prototype production workstations for ergonomics, efficiency, and safety.
- Ability to program and operate 6-Axis robot arms for complex manufacturing tasks.
- Statistical Methods and experimental design.
- Experience in doing PFMEA's, creating standard work instructions, ergonomic layout of manual workstations, creating process specifications for manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge of current (and developing) additive manufacturing processes and their applications. Be familiar with a variety of workflow concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Experience in prototype manufacturing in a fast-paced environment. Including creating MBOMs and engineering drawings (to GD&T standards) for fabrication shop handoff.
- Proficient in CAD workflows, authoring process, and equipment documentation.
- Excellent problem solving and teamwork skills while working with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to scale responsibilities appropriately as the team/company grows.
- Siemens NX / TeamCenter / FiberSim
- Excellent communicator capable of pitching the company.
- Motivated to learn new skills.
- Passionate about Orb’s mission.
- Interest in Aviation.
$75,000 - $120,000 a year
Most engineers come to Orb to join an early team with unprecedented freedom to build the world's largest humanitarian air force. We have a healthy standard equity rate that vests after one year.