Senior Software Engineer - Public Sector
You're responsible for the technical architecture and implementation of new analytics products that ingest satellite images and other geospatial data at terabyte scale, apply ML/CV algorithms on them to generate domain features and use these features to create predictive models.
You drive small teams (2-5 people) to create these new products. The results of these predictive models are delivered to customers in the shape of datasets and insightful, actionable reports and visualizations.
The world is a very big place. With a single photograph of Earth, like the famous "Blue Marble" from Apollo 17, the entire world can fit on a computer screen. However, with this image you would not be able to see much detail. To see the Earth and all of its rich features, you would need a lot more images. In fact it would take over 500 million images just to observe the land area of Earth at 1 meter pixel resolution.
In order to see detail and work at scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. This is still the beginning of our mission to understand the Earth.
This position will be based in our Washington, D.C. office.
- Own all technical aspects of a product, from mapping of value proposition to technical requirements, to architecture design to integration with devops
- Ability to leverage internal expertise on data science/machine learning
- Perform software development in any of the product areas as needed
- Lead small product development team using agile development principles, including release planning, sprint planning, product and sprint backlog grooming, and standups
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (physics, mathematics, bioinformatics, computer science, operations research, etc.)
- 3+ years experience as technical lead/product architect of commercial software products
- Working knowledge of one or more of data science, machine learning, or machine vision
- Familiarity with continuous integration and automated testing
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills
- Strong background in agile, and ability to mentor others in its use a major plus
- Preferred, direct experience with the new U.S. Government C2S environment
- Security Clearance: TS/SCI - Required
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
- Stock Options
- Competitive Salaries
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life & disability coverage
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company's gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.