Senior Software Engineer - Public Sector
In order to take our government business to the next level we are looking to hire a Senior Software Engineer to join our Public Sector team. This Senior Software Engineer will work on developing, adapting, and extending our commercial software products to fit the needs of our government customers.
At Orbital Insight, we work in cross-functional Agile teams, exploring how geospatial data, data science, AI/deep learning, computer vision, and intimacy with user needs can create entirely new products that give novel insights about what we are doing on and to the earth. Our pioneering products help people answer questions that cannot be answered today.
As a member of our technical staff, you’ll be working on our cloud-based systems that ingest a wide variety of data, run advanced machine learning algorithms on that data, use data science techniques to discover trends and detect anomalies, and allow users to ask questions and get answers – and do it all at scale with ever-increasing amounts of data.
We value experienced engineers who already have a breadth of experience in multiple areas -- databases, devops, machine learning, API design, and more -- and are eager to learn new areas and new technologies.
If all this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to meet you.
This position will be based in our Rosslyn, Virginia office but may require some work at customer sites in the DC area. Occasional travel to corporate headquarters in Palo Alto, California may be required.
This position requires an active TS/SCI clearance.
- Participate in, and possibly lead, all technical aspects of a project, from customer needs assessments and technical requirements to software architecture and implementation to deployment and maintenance
- Participate in customer meetings to present and discuss technical plans and milestones
- Collaborate with others across the company, such as our machine learning or devops teams, and with other partner organizations
- Provide software design and perform software implementation for enterprise-scale, mission-critical, production software in areas such as web services, databases, user interfaces, user management, API design, and more
- Participate in, and possibly lead, small and tactical development teams using agile development principles, including release planning, sprint planning, product and sprint backlog grooming, and standups
Skills & Qualifications
- BS or MS degree, or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (physics, mathematics, bioinformatics, computer science, operations research, etc.)
- 6+ years of experience as a software developer on enterprise-scale software projects
- 3+ years of experience as a technical lead on commercial or other production-level software projects
- Some experience with one or more of the following: data science, machine learning, computer vision, geospatial workflows, image processing, security/IA assessment
- Dedication to continuous integration and automated testing
- Hands-on, production experience with cloud-based systems using AWS or Azure
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes strongly preferred
- Experience working within C2S or similar classified networks
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills
- Strong background in agile, and ability to mentor others in its use a major plus
- Security Clearance: TS/SCI required
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
- Stock Options
- Competitive Salaries
- Discretionary time off
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life & disability coverage
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company's gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.