Senior Software Engineer - Public Sector
In order to take our government business to the next level we are looking to hire a Senior Software Engineer to join our Public Sector team. This Senior Software Engineer will work on developing, adapting, and extending our commercial software products to fit the needs of our government customers.
At Orbital Insight, we work in cross-functional Agile teams, exploring how geospatial data, data science, AI/deep learning, computer vision, and intimacy with user needs can create entirely new products that give novel insights about what we are doing on and to the earth. Our pioneering products help people answer questions that cannot be answered today.
If you had a “Macroscope” that could survey the entire earth every day what would you look at with it? … New construction in China? Fracking in Texas? Deforestation in Indonesia? New island construction in the South China Sea? When the US economy hits an inflection point in an economic cycle what moves first? New home sales? Mall shopping? Hours worked at the nation’s factories? … What if you could see the entire earth every day and track all of these factors in near real time?
As a member of our technical staff, you’ll be working on our cloud-based systems that ingest a wide variety of data, run advanced machine learning algorithms on that data, use data science techniques to discover trends and detect anomalies, and allow users to ask questions and get answers – and do it all at scale with ever-increasing amounts of data.
If all this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to meet you.
This position will be based in our Arlington, Virginia office but may require some work at customer sites in the DC area. Occasional travel to corporate headquarters in Palo Alto, California may be required.
This position requires an active TS/SCI clearance.
- Own all technical aspects of a product, from mapping of value proposition to technical requirements, to architecture design to integration with devops
- Ability to leverage internal expertise on data science/machine learning
- Perform software development in any of the product areas as needed
- Lead small product development team using agile development principles, including release planning, sprint planning, product and sprint backlog grooming, and standups
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (physics, mathematics, bioinformatics, computer science, operations research, etc.)
- 3+ years experience as technical lead/product architect of commercial software products
- Working knowledge of one or more of data science, machine learning, or machine vision
- Familiarity with continuous integration and automated testing
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills
- Strong background in agile, and ability to mentor others in its use a major plus
- Preferred, direct experience with the new U.S. Government C2S environment
- Security Clearance: TS/SCI - Required
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
- Stock Options
- Competitive Salaries
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life & disability coverage
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company's gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.