Embedded Systems Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Origin's additive manufacturing platform stands at the intersection of hardware, software, chemistry, materials science, and data. We are on the cusp of reshaping enterprise 3D printing, and your role will ensure that we build a truly outstanding, modern day manufacturing platform for our customers with cutting-edge software technology.
Our printers work together as an IOT fleet, and we are building a rich set of data-enabled management capabilities to ensure fast, robust printing.
We're looking for curious and driven embedded systems engineers as we scale production of our additive manufacturing platform. As software underpins every aspect of our product, our embedded systems engineers will be working closely with electrical, hardware, and backend engineers while learning key aspects of our 3D printing technology.
If big, cross-disciplinary technical challenges excite you, join our small and growing team of engineers and scientists from places like Google, Apple, Microsoft, Autodesk, and Stanford. Sample projects include: cryptographically secured firmware deployment, real-time sensor and camera integration, firmware QA automation, and print process optimization.
- Deliver highly reliable systems-level software for critical hardware components of our manufacturing system
- Participate in hardware selection, driver development, board bring-up and hardware integration on Linux
- Develop build systems, test automation, and other tools to enable efficient firmware development and rapid iteration
- Drive the software development process, including design, implementation, testing, code reviews, and deployment
- Quickly and reliably implement features and prototype novel ideas leading to better and more consistent prints, increased production throughput, and a more robust manufacturing process for our customers
- Maintain a healthy, productive engineering culture: champion high standards of code quality and participate in recruitment to build a world class software engineering team
- 5+ years of experience building, debugging, and shipping embedded systems
- Strong computer science fundamentals, including data structures, algorithms, and time complexity analysis
- Working knowledge of low-level Linux development, including shell scripting, driver and kernel internals and boot process
- Understanding of low-level memory management and hardware communication protocols (UART, GPIO, I²C)
- Strong ability to diagnose hardware and software issues, including hands-on experience with hardware bring-up, system debugging and code/performance optimization
- Ability to read and understand electronic datasheets and schematics
- Passion to do whatever it takes to independently solve complex problems
- Excellent technical documentation and communication skills
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree
Nice to Have
- Interest or passion for 3D printing, robotics, or mechatronics
- Sound understanding of web fundamentals
- Familiarity with continuous integration tools and targeted testing for reliable and quick deployments