Senior Android Applications Engineer - Device / Client
Austin, TX or San Mateo, CA
Engineering - Software
As a Senior Android Applications Engineer, you will help contribute to architecting, developing, deploying Android applications running on both our custom hardware and on customer’s phones. Writing and supporting robust, scalable, testable native Android code should come as second nature to you. Working closely with the product, design, backend, and platform teams, you will be involved with all stages of the software development process from product ideation, to architecture and planning, to implementation, to deployment while providing your unique perspective along the way to help build-world class experiences for the home. You will maintain responsibility for ensuring components of our Android applications work reliably.
- Architect, design, implement, and maintain current and future Android codebases including application logic, algorithms, deployment tooling, and test strategies
- Work with product, design, backend, and platform teams to deliver a successful products to market
- Test your implementation including unit, integration and regression testing
- Review product and design requirements to determine implementation feasibility and effort
- Be an active contributor in our agile process to deliver robust, scalable solutions efficiently
- Contribute across codebases and software stack as needed to get features shipped
- BS and/or MS in Computer Science/Engineering (or equivalent experience) with strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- 5+ years professional experience including expert level proficiency with Java / Android SDK platform and 1 year experience with Kotlin on shipped Android apps
- Experience with latest Android libraries and architectures such as Dependency Injection, RxJava, MVP/MVVM architectures, different Data Storage options
- Experience architecting performant large-scale Android applications including concepts like Services, threading, IPC, and unit + integration testing
- Experience working in a team environment and providing mentorship to other engineers
- Knowledge of the Android SDK performance tools and optimization techniques including use of Android NDK / JNI
- Experience working with the latest backend/full-stack technologies such as AWS Lambdas, SQL/NoSQL databases, Message Brokers, Analytics Pipelines
- Experience working with external hardware platforms and related communication protocols such as BLE, WiFi, Bonjour/mDNS, WebSockets, and MQTT
- Experience working with Smart Home APIs such as Alexa, Google Assistant, Philips Hue, SmartThings, etc
- Familiarity with Sensor Fusion, Data Science, and Machine Learning concepts
- Basic hardware debugging experience using an oscilloscope, logic analyzer, multimeter
- Personal experience with home automation products and/or technical hobby projects
Light is one of the most important pieces of one’s life. It literally defines every waking moment. We fundamentally believe with better light, comes better lives, and we strive to create thoughtfully-designed products that will change the way people experience their spaces.
Orro was founded in 2015 with the goal of bringing lighting into the modern era. The company has offices in San Mateo, California and Austin, Texas.
More about our software stack can be found at StackShare.