Senior Software Engineer, Back-End
Remote (US, Canada) /
Who We Are
At OtterTune, we make database optimization simple. Our main offering is a cloud service that uses machine learning (ML) to automate the difficult process of database performance tuning. Based on cutting-edge database and ML research at Carnegie Mellon University, OtterTune analyzes a customer's database activity and learns the best configuration for it, thereby boosting database performance and lowering costs. OtterTune's recommendations frequently outperform those of experienced database administrators.
About the Role
We are hiring senior software engineers to work on the backend of our core service platform. OtterTune collects a vast amount of monitoring data to power OtterTune’s database optimization and insights engine. This requires a platform that can reliably scale and enable a seamless user experience that minimizes the complexities of working with databases.
This role is a unique opportunity to join OtterTune in the early stages of its development where you can make a significant technical impact on our ever-growing stack.
- Lead the design and development of critical systems that power OtterTune product functionality (some project examples could involve data and machine learning pipelines, service APIs, testing platforms, infrastructure integration).
- Identify key areas for improvement around reliability and scalability and advocate for engineering change.
- Working with product and engineering management on key prioritization decisions.
- Help set “best-practice” standards for backend development.
- Work with engineering leadership on our broad technical roadmap.
- Provide technical leadership to the team.
You Might Be a Fit for the Role If You Have
- 5+ years of professional experience building out service-oriented and/or data infrastructure.
- Experience taking the lead on projects and working with others across multiple disciplines.
- Experience with container orchestration systems (e.g., Kubernetes, ECS).
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Strong technical communication skills and initiative.
- The desire to work on a small, independent team of developers.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for you and your dependents
- 401k plan with matching
- 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave
- Flexible hours
We Would Still Like to Hear From You
Humans never stop learning. Everyone learns on the job, no matter what job it is. OtterTune employees are encouraged to take time to level up their skills. Even if you do not check all of the boxes, please reach out to us about this position if you are interested.
Building an Inclusive Workplace
OtterTune is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. OtterTune embraces diversity and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. OtterTune prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, performance, merit, and business need.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.