Sr. Mechanical Engineer
San Francisco /
Hardware Engineering – Mechanical Design /
At Ouster, we build sensors and tools for engineers, roboticists, and researchers, so they can make the world safer and more efficient. We've transformed LIDAR from an analog device with thousands of components to an elegant digital device powered by one chip-scale laser array and one CMOS sensor. The result is a full range of high-resolution LIDAR sensors that deliver superior imaging at a dramatically lower price. Our advanced sensor hardware and vision algorithms are used in autonomous cars, drones and many other applications. If you’re motivated by solving big problems, we’re hiring key roles across the company and need your help!
We are looking for a Senior or Staff Mechanical Engineer to lead sensor-level mechanical projects on our current and future digital lidar products. The ideal candidate would have experience with multi-domain mechanical projects such as electrical/mechanical integrations or opto-mechanical design. They should be comfortable working with other departments such as Operations, Manufacturing, and Quality/Reliability as well as with external suppliers.
- Own the design of electromechanical subsystems, taking assemblies and components from R&D through NPI and sustaining.
- Ownership of CAD assemblies and drawings.
- Interface with Quality and Manufacturing to ensure designs are reliable and can be produced in large volumes.
- Work cross-functionally with electrical engineering and optics to deliver fully functioning products.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, or similar engineering degree.
- 5+ years of professional experience designing and delivering mechanical hardware.
- Experience designing multi-domain mechanical systems such as opto-mechanical, electrical integration, or hydraulics.
- Experience with technical leadership, project management, and cross-functional product planning.
- Able to contribute to product development road maps and long-term product vision.
- Experience with GD&T drawings and tolerance analysis.
- Professional CAD experience - SolidWorks preferred.
- Able to appropriately balance speed vs thoroughness for different tasks.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a highly cross-functional team.
- Able to work in an autonomously driven and demanding startup atmosphere.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent hands-on abilities in assembling and troubleshooting sensors.
- Must be able to travel occasionally.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience developing high-volume or consumer products.
- Experience launching products into volume production.
- Experience in multiple areas such as manufacturing, reliability, testing, and design.
- Experience working with mass-produced optomechanical systems.
- Experience with rotating mechanical assemblies.
- Experience designing products for harsh environments.
- Experience mentoring fellow engineers.
- Experience coding in Python.
- Experience leading FEA and CFD thermal simulations.
- Knowledge of Statical Process Control.
$150,000 - $180,000 a year
The base pay will be dependent on your skills, work experience, location, and qualifications. This role may also be eligible for equity & benefits.
We acknowledge the confidence gap at Ouster. You do not need to meet all of these
requirements to be the ideal candidate for this role.
At Ouster we offer a range of competitive benefits, as we believe in taking care of our employees in all aspects of their lives. Our newly renovated office, located in the Mission District of San Francisco, is a dog-friendly workplace with a kitchen stocked with snacks, fresh fruit and drinks, and a complimentary dinner catered nightly. Additional perks include 15 vacation days/10 paid holidays annually; paid parental leave; pre-tax commuter or health care/dependent care accounts; 401K match up to 4%; medical, vision and dental plans with premiums covered at 100% for the employee and 75% for dependents (Cigna or Kaiser); life insurance; and short term disability and long term disability. Ouster offers the best benefit options available because we consider the well-being of our employees a top priority.
Ouster is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Ouster does not make employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military status, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws. Ouster also strives for a healthy and safe workplace, and prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ouster considers qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.