Director of Supply Chain
Santa Monica, CA (currently remote) /
Outer is a venture-backed startup based in Santa Monica, California on a mission to get people outside and inspire healthier, happier, and more fulfilling lives by creating innovative outdoor furniture.
The Director of Supply Chain will organize and monitor transportation and storage of finished goods
throughout the supply chain and in our 3PL warehouses for last mile distribution. This team member
will also work closely with our customer experience team to solve any issues that arise from our last mile
The successful candidate in this role will oversee the importing of finished goods from several international
locations as well as their transportation to distribution centers. They will be the main 3PL contact and manage all storage, kitting, and inventory tracking. They will also be the main auditor of last mile customer shipping across all the major carriers.
Given the stage of Outer and the ever-evolving business strategy and needs of the company, this role will change over time. New and exciting opportunities arise every day and we are looking for candidates who will embrace and be motivated by that flexibility.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Establish and manage third party logistics relationships negotiating pricing and deal terms, measuring performance (time, quality, and cost), and continuously improving product delivery to customers
- Design and implement systems and processes for the processing and fulfillment of orders
- Anticipating scaling issues that will cause breakdowns in every step of the supply chain and be ready with alternative solutions and fulfillment capabilities
- Keep track of quality, quantity, stock levels, delivery times, transport costs and efficiency
- Arrange warehouse, catalog goods, plan routes, manage ongoing rework and kitting, and process shipments
- Collaborate with the customer service department to ensure fast response to arising customer needs
- Monitor and analyze incoming tickets to spot trends and develop paths of quick response
- Provide coaching, feedback and accountability to leaders in the fulfillment organization to ensure the team executes with excellence and achieves business commitments
- Design a fulfillment organization that is flexible, scalable, and responsive to the critical needs and goals of the business
- Hire, develop, and engage a world-class team committed to excellence, rigor, and exceptional operations
- Manage vendor relationships as needed to provide exceptional service to members, operational effectiveness, and scalability.
- Management of the entire order cycle resulting in enhanced business growth, sustainability and customer satisfaction
- Leadership that inspires teammates in accordance with the company’s values
- Creation of a team environment that is inclusive, respectful, professional, developmental, innovative, collaborative and fun
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years directly relevant experience (CPG Logistics)
- Experience building third party logistics and distribution for direct to consumer and channel partner sales
- Experience managing 3PLs
- Experience with residential delivery of freight preferred
SKILLS, REQUIREMENTS & ABILITIES
- Ability to thrive in a startup environment where self-direction and initiative are highly encouraged
- Ability to juggle many balls at once, without dropping any of them
- Highly analytical, with the ability to keep digging until you have reached the best answer.
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Strong leadership skills
Outer started by creating the perfect outdoor sofa: beautiful, durable, comfortable, and innovative. We also invented a new model for retail because we believe that the furniture buying experience can be much better than stale, traditional showrooms with four walls, fluorescent lighting, and pushy salespeople. Our Neighborhood Showroom platform that turns our customers' backyards into our physical showrooms where our customers can see, touch and feel our products in a real backyard alongside a real customer (think: Airbnb meets retail). Our Co-Founder & Chief Design Officer was the former Head Furniture Designer at Pottery Barn, and our founding team brings decades of experience from Casper, IDEO, Nike, Thrive Market, Match.com, and Riot Games. Outer provides a robust total rewards package, including competitive compensation packages, medical & wellness plans, 401(k) contributions, life insurance and more.