Customer Service Specialist
Santa Monica, CA (currently remote) /
Customer Service /
Outer is a venture-backed startup based in Santa Monica, California on a mission to get people outside and inspire healthier, happier, and more fulfilling lives by creating innovative outdoor furniture.
This role will be a Customer Service Specialist on the Outer team and will be one of the team’s primary customer-facing roles. At Outer we not only believe in an amazing product, but also an amazing experience, and you will be a key player in the customer’s experience with Outer. Reporting into the Vice President of Operations, this role will provide customers with the attention and support after purchasing that ensures delightful delivery and ownership experiences.
Given the stage of Outer and the ever-evolving business strategy and needs of the company, this role will change over time. New and exciting opportunities arise every day and we are looking for candidates who will embrace and be motivated by that flexibility. This position is eligible for performance-based incentives and commissions.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Provide post-purchase support to answer questions and solve problems related to orders, delivery, and product ownership issues
- Liaise with our fulfillment centers, delivery carriers and other vendors
- Reply to customer inquiries via email, phone, and occasionally live chat
- Collaborate on the development of CS processes, tools and methods improve our capacity to serve more customers and to better meet their needs
- Execute on strategic projects that improve customer experience, communication, efficiency, tracking, and quality
- Ensure customer engagement delivers a world-class experience and clear brand image
- Provide world-class customer service that supports high customer satisfaction ratings
- Prompt, accurate communication and resolution of customer inquiries
- Develop relationships that help ensure customers return to Outer for future purchases
- Continuous improvement in all aspects of CS performance
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 1-3 years in a customer-facing role
- 2- or 4-year degree preferred but not required
- Experience working in a team-based office environment highly preferred
- Experience working in a startup company highly preferred
SKILLS, REQUIREMENTS & ABILITIES
- Excellent written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- High empathy, especially for our customers
- Passion for service and helping others
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skillsHighly motivated, self-directed, and entrepreneurial
- Positive energy and ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
Outer started by creating the perfect outdoor sofa: beautiful, durable, comfortable, and innovative. We also invented a new model for retail because we believe that the furniture buying experience can be much better than stale, traditional showrooms with four walls, fluorescent lighting, and pushy salespeople. Our Neighborhood Showroom platform that turns our customers' backyards into our physical showrooms where our customers can see, touch and feel our products in a real backyard alongside a real customer (think: Airbnb meets retail). Our Co-Founder & Chief Design Officer was the former Head Furniture Designer at Pottery Barn, and our founding team brings decades of experience from Casper, IDEO, Nike, Thrive Market, Match.com, and Riot Games. Outer provides a robust total rewards package, including competitive compensation packages, medical & wellness plans, 401(k) contributions, life insurance and more.