Data Scientist - Experimentation and Causal Inference - Staff/Senior Staff
Seattle, WA /
Data Science – Data Science /
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
About the Team
Data is at the core of Outreach's strategy. It drives ourselves and our customers to the highest levels of success. We use it for everything from customer health scores and revenue dashboards, to operational metrics of our AWS infrastructure, to helping increase product engagement and user productivity through natural language understanding, to predictive analytics and causal inference via experimentation. As our customer base continues to grow, we are looking towards new ways of leveraging our data to deeper understand our customers’ needs and deliver new products and features to help continuously improve their customer engagement workflows.
The mission of the Data Science team is to enable such continuous optimization by reconstructing customer engagement workflows from data, developing metrics to measure success and efficiency of these workflows, and providing insights and tools to support execution and optimization of these workflows. As a member of the team, you will be on the ground floor working with other Data Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers, and Application Engineers to define and implement our strategy for delivering on this mission.
As an expert in A/B testing, Causal Inference, Reinforcement Learning and Optimization you will be responsible for defining and implementing algorithms and platforms for automated optimization of sales workflows, aka sales playbooks. For most companies, their playbooks are highly suboptimal, defined based on intuition and experience of sales leaders, without much data analysis involved. Your goal will be to change that. You will be a part of a cross-functional team consisting of data scientists, machine learning engineers and application engineers working on transforming static intuition-based sales playbooks into dynamically optimized sales processes. This work will forever revolutionize how sales works.
Your Daily Adventures Will Include
- Defining metrics to measure effectiveness of sales processes
- Designing and implementing algorithms to provide A/B testing capabilities for Outreach customers, with the focus on guided user experience for experiment design and analysis of results
- Developing a system for automated optimization of sales processes, via A/B testing, Reinforcement Learning, or other means
- Designing recommendation algorithms and user experience to inform initial creation and setup of sales processes for new Outreach customers
- Serving as an expert in the areas of A/B testing, Causal Inference, Reinforcement Learning, Optimization. Collaborating with and mentoring other data scientists and engineers in these areas.
Our Vision of You
- You have strong statistical background and practical experience with applying experimentation (A/B testing) in real-world settings. Experience developing A/B testing platforms is a plus.
- You have practical experience with observational causal inference (e.g., regression adjustment, matching, propensity score stratification), or quasi-experimental methods (e.g., instrumental variables, regression discontinuity, interrupted time series). Knowledge of causal graphical models is a plus.
- You have a strong background with Reinforcement Learning or Dynamic Programming. Experience with applying Reinforcement Learning in production scenarios is a plus.
- You have experience working with distributed data processing frameworks such as Spark. Experience with Spark's MLlib, AWS, Databricks, MLFlow are a plus
- You have strong programming skills in at least one object oriented programming language (Java, Scala, C++, Python, etc.)You understand the entire lifecycle of machine learning product development, from inception to production
- You are hands on, able to quickly pick up new tools and languages, and excited about building things and experimenting
- You go above and beyond to help your team
- You are honest, admit mistakes, and own fixing them
- You are a motivated and talented craftsperson: always looking to sharpen and adapt your skills
- You have a MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or a related field, and 5+ years of industry or equivalent experience
Why You’ll Love It Here
• Generous medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
• Flexible time off
• 401k to help you save for the future
• Company-organized and personal paid volunteer days to support the community that supports us
• Fun company and team outings (or virtual events these days!) because we play just as hard as we work
• Diversity and inclusion programs that promote employee resource groups like OWN (Outreach Women's Network), AAPI, Rainbow (LGBTQIA+), Gender+, LatinX, Black Excellence, Disability Community, and Veterans
• A parental leave program that includes not just extended time off but options for a paid night nurse, food delivery, gradual return to work, and the Gottman Institute's Bringing Home Baby course for new parents
• Employee referral bonuses to encourage the addition of great new people to the team
• Plus, unlimited snacks and beverages in our kitchen (once we're back in the office, that is!)
• We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status