Senior Software Engineer, Dev Tooling
Seattle, WA /
Engineering – Foundations /
Our success is reliant on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can elevate assumptions and ideas with fresh perspectives. We're dedicated to hiring the whole human, not just a resume. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants-including those from historically marginalized groups. We would like to invite you to apply even if you don't think you meet all of the requirements listed below. We don't want a few lines in a job description to get between us and the opportunity to meet you.
About the Team
The Dev Tooling team is an internal-facing team dedicated to enabling the entire engineering organization to do better work. This wide and intentionally-vague charter encompasses everything from developing new engineer onboarding processes to building all of the tooling that engineers use and depend on in their daily lives to be effective. If there’s a common thread between multiple projects, whether discovered in the present or envisaged for the future, we try to get out ahead and build the systems and tooling needed for that work.
We have developed an in-house Kubernetes development environment (read about it at our medium article: https://outreach-eng.medium.com/localizer-an-adventure-in-creating-a-reverse-tunnel-tunnel-manager-for-kubernetes-47c614606b68) that the entire engineering organization bases their daily work on. We have also built a templating-based project and set of libraries to rapidly and securely build Golang-based services, libraries, tools, and CLIs that easily deploy and test across our local development through production environments. Our team is evolving these pieces toward a fully open-sourced client+server development and deployment environment “startup in a box”, with the goal of building a vibrant community around it.
The dev tooling team is, by design, a team of generalists, with specializations. With the wide charter, you may find yourself spending a morning building a logging library and the afternoon working with a client team to design and build an efficient way to test their code against production-like services. We spend our time balancing between live support to enable/unblock our engineering coworkers and feature development. The team provides myriad opportunities to expand your knowledge and skills, both of the raw technical type as well as feature/product design. If a charter this vague sounds exciting to you, you might just be a dev tooler. Come find out!
Location: Seattle, WA
This role is based at our office in Downtown Seattle. The Engineering Organization is expected to come to the office once per week.
Your Daily Adventures Will Include
- Developing common Kubernetes deployment patterns across projects
- Developing best-practices and libraries for monitoring production systems
- Designing end-to-end multi-service integration test frameworks that work on laptops and in CI
- Identifying common themes in upcoming projects and building common frameworks to help teams build them faster
- Working with engineering teams to find out where we need to invest in more tooling
- Triaging feedback and bugs from users
- Engaging with the open source community
- Building reliable core service libraries so feature teams can focus on business logic
Our Vision of You
- Experience working on build systems, especially running in CICD
- Experience maintaining shared libraries, especially open-source libraries
- Experience with container-based workflows and services, especially Kubernetes
- Experience building production monitoring to track service and website health
- Experience with Golang (used extensively by the Dev Tooling team)
- Familiarity with Typescript, Python, and Ruby (used elsewhere in the company)
- A love of learning, and an excitement to learn new technologies. Dev Tooling is at the forefront of a lot of experimentation, and is expected to forge the best path forward for all of Outreach.
- Excitement about our other core values: We are hungry craftspeople, we have grit, we are honest, we take ownership, we have each other’s back no matter what, we’re one with our customers, and we find strength in diversity and inclusion
The base salary range for this role is $125,000-$190,000. You may also be offered incentive compensation, bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. Actual compensation is based on factors such as the your skills, qualifications, and experience. We also have a location-based compensation structure; there may be a different range for candidates in other locations.
Why You’ll Love It Here
• Generous medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
• Flexible time off
• 401k to help you save for the future
• Company-organized and personal paid volunteer days to support the community that supports us
• Fun company and team outings (or virtual events these days!) because we play just as hard as we work
• Diversity and inclusion programs that promote employee resource groups like OWN (Outreach Women's Network), AAPI, Rainbow (LGBTQIA+), Gender+, LatinX, Black Excellence, Disability Community, and Veterans
• A parental leave program that includes not just extended time off but options for a paid night nurse, food delivery, gradual return to work, and the Gottman Institute's Bringing Home Baby course for new parents
• Employee referral bonuses to encourage the addition of great new people to the team
• Plus, unlimited snacks and beverages in our kitchen
• We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status