Senior Manager, Safety-Critical Perception
Golden, Colorado /
Engineering – Safety-Critical Software /
Outrider is a software company that is automating distribution yards with electric, self-driving trucks. Our system eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive while it improves safety and efficiency. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation. We are a private company founded in 2018 and backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. Our customers are Fortune 200 companies and our autonomous trucks are already running in distribution yards. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
Outrider's Senior Manager, Safety-Critical Perception plays a foundational role in the delivery of our first-of-its-kind, autonomous ground vehicle system. The opportunity offers a very talented software engineer and people manager the chance to help develop a market-defining robotics product.
The ideal candidate embraces the idea of reducing the carbon footprint of our 'get-it-now' economy and is invigorated by our overarching mission to accelerate the adoption of zero-emission, self-driving vehicle technology. System safety is our number-one priority, and this position provides an opportunity to lead a key effort in controlling perception-related safety risks.
Outrider's Senior Manager, Safety-Critical Perception guides the team creating the perception-related algorithms that are instrumental in minimizing the possibility that the Outrider autonomous truck collides with anything or anyone. This role is ideal for someone who wants to push confined-area, heavy-vehicle autonomy into hardened, high-volume production with zero safety-related service issues.
The position is based in Golden, Colorado, will manage a team of several engineers, and report to the Head of Safety Software.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, prototype, and bring to production perception algorithms that enable autonomous systems to navigate safely
- Work with data from perception sensors including LiDAR, RADAR and 3D cameras
- Design metrics and architect software to gauge and test performance against requirements
- Pass qualified algorithms to Embedded Software team to implement on AV’s ASIL-rated hardware
- Lead and grow more junior members of team
- Coordinate with System Safety, Perception leadership, and broader Autonomy teams
- Provide ongoing status updates to executive leadership
- Assist in quarterly engineering roadmap planning
- Professional experience with safety critical development
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Robotics, Computer Science, or Engineering
- Experience with a variety of sensors including LiDAR, 3D cameras and RADAR
- Excellent [C++] coding, strong engineering practices, debugging/profiling skills
- Exposure to Perception
- Exposure to Python
- Experience with project management tools, (e.g. JIRA, Smartsheet)
- Cloud experience
- Knowledge of robotics and frameworks such as ROS/ROS2
- Professional experience developing perception algorithms
- Experience with real-time sensor fusion (e.g. IMU, LiDAR, RADAR, camera, odometry)
- Professional experience contributing safety-critical code
- Three years of people leadership experience
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range: $190,000 - 240,000
- Domestic Relocation assistance is available for this position
- Visa sponsorship is available for this position
- For a detailed listing of benefits, check this out!
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.
To protect yourself against the increasing number of recruiting scams, please make sure that you are communicating with Outrider Technologies, Inc. or one of its employees. The only way to communicate with us is through our corporate website at www.outrider.ai, through corporate emails utilizing our domain name of @outrider.ai, and through our job board at jobs.lever.co/outrider. Be vigilant when checking domains because imitators often make very small changes to trick the eye. Additionally, please know that Outrider does not use text messaging or public messaging platforms, such as Telegram or Whatsapp, to communicate with candidates and Outrider will never ask an employment candidate for financial information or for payment of any kind.