Senior State Estimation Engineer
Engineering – Safety-Critical Software /
Outrider is a software company that is automating distribution yards with electric, self-driving trucks. Our system eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive while it improves safety and efficiency. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation. We are a private company founded in 2018 and backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. Our customers are Fortune 200 companies and our autonomous trucks are already running in distribution yards. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Senior State Estimation Engineer for Software Safety will formulate, design, implement, and evaluate algorithmic solutions that help power Outrider's safety mechanisms for autonomous, unattended operation. In this role, a driven candidate will have broad scope to develop algorithm approaches from beginning to end, including determining effective approaches, formulating prototypes, and evaluating against data sets to gauge the performance of proposed solutions. Success in this role translates directly to helping enable Outrider's product development and ultimately automated logistics yards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluate and test LIDAR and/or RADAR in niche operational domains
- Design software systems using LIDAR and/or RADAR and other sensors to fulfill perception needs
- Design and implement novel perception algorithms consuming raw LIDAR and/or RADAR data to identify specific hazards in the yard environment
- Analyze sensor/perception failure modes and devise mitigations based on field data
- Contribute generally to the growth and success of the Company and the building of a vibrant culture focused on the responsible deployment of zero-emission autonomous vehicle technology
- BSc/MSc in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline
- Background in developing safety significant software
- Experience developing and deploying perception algorithms into production systems, such as related to state estimation, detection and tracking of obstacles, mapping, or similarDemonstrated experience in utilizing LIDAR and/or RADAR as sensing modalities for perception functions
- Familiarity with sensor fusion methodologiesFamiliarity with Linux development and target environments
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Ability to learn quickly
- Thorough understanding of RADAR signal processing and data products
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline
- Ability to read/write/debug Python, C++, and/or Matlab
- Background in developing safety significant software for ground vehicles, such as automotive or other autonomous vehicle applications
- Prior use of Git for software version control
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS) or other robotics middleware
Benefits and Compensation
- Salary range of $160,000 - $190,000+.
- For benefits, check this out!
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.
To protect yourself against the increasing number of recruiting scams, please make sure that you are communicating with Outrider Technologies, Inc. or one of its employees. The only way to communicate with us is through our corporate website at www.outrider.ai, through corporate emails utilizing our domain name of @outrider.ai, and through our job board at jobs.lever.co/outrider. Be vigilant when checking domains because imitators often make very small changes to trick the eye. Additionally, please know that Outrider does not use text messaging or public messaging platforms, such as Telegram or Whatsapp, to communicate with candidates and Outrider will never ask an employment candidate for financial information or for payment of any kind.