Senior Engineer, Platform Integration (Software)
Golden, Colorado /
Engineering – Hardware Platform /
Outrider is a software company that is automating distribution yards with electric, self-driving trucks. Our system eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive while it improves safety and efficiency. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation. We are a private company founded in 2018 and backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. Our customers are Fortune 200 companies and our autonomous trucks are already running in distribution yards. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Senior Platform Integration Engineer will report to the Manager of Platform Integration - Development and Sustainment and will be responsible for the integration of hardware and software components onto the 2nd generation Outrider vehicle. This role will execute a variety of software- and system-level tests on the entire Outrider system or its subsystems, which include: the electric vehicle (EV) platform, AV sensors and compute, robotic manipulation, and site infrastructure as needed to diagnose and correct issues.
This position plays an essential role in helping deliver a safety-critical system for logistics automation. The opportunity offers a very talented, self-starting engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support new software and hardware integration into prototype vehicles by defining and carrying out functional verification of new hardware.
- Develop tools, scripts, and procedures for provisioning and configuring Linux-based computers.
- Diagnose and triage problems with vehicle hardware, assembly, configuration, networking, and performance.
- Perform root-cause analysis on issues found during vehicle assembly or at customer sites using common problem solving methods.
- Work cross-functionally to understand and prioritize needs of other teams and help drive toward a product that meets all customer, business, and technical expectations
- Collaborate with other departments to mitigate and eliminate design, quality, or assembly issues
- Develop data analysis scripts and visualization tools to quickly extract key learnings and trends from the integration activities
- Report to stakeholders status of continuous improvement plans, vehicle uptime, and other quality metrics
- Travel as needed to perform field work, training, or customer support (up to 20%)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and curious mindset
- 3+ years experience with integrated software/hardware systems such as robotics, autonomous vehicles, or other automotive/aerospace products
- BS or MS in Engineering or Computer Science or a similar discipline
- Strong electrical and embedded systems fundamentals
- Proven capability in problem-solving complex systems, software, or robotics
- Proficient with Linux and command-line interface and bash scripting
- Demonstrated experience working with systems with complex networking
- Comfortable using and deploying Docker containers
- Experience with C++ and Python
- Comfortable reading, debugging, and troubleshooting code
- Experience troubleshooting with software tools such as Wireshark, tcpdump, hexdump, gdb
- Strong git user (handling merge conflicts, rebasing, cherry-picking)
- Experience with communication protocols (TCP, UDP, CAN, I2C, SPI)
- Sterling references
- Experience with ROS, robotics software engineering, autonomous vehicle systems, computer vision, machine learning, and/or planning and controls
- Experience with sensors, such as lidars, cameras, IMUs, GPSComfort with multimeters, power supplies, oscilloscopes
- Experience with Jenkins, JIRA and Confluence
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.
To protect yourself against the increasing number of recruiting scams, please make sure that you are communicating with Outrider Technologies, Inc. or one of its employees. The only way to communicate with us is through our corporate website at www.outrider.ai, through corporate emails utilizing our domain name of @outrider.ai, and through our job board at jobs.lever.co/outrider. Be vigilant when checking domains because imitators often make very small changes to trick the eye. Additionally, please know that Outrider does not use text messaging or public messaging platforms, such as Telegram or Whatsapp, to communicate with candidates and Outrider will never ask an employment candidate for financial information or for payment of any kind.