Director of Community
Customer Experience /
Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
We're an experienced team with past accomplishments at Airbnb, Square, Apple, Uber, Udemy, Amazon, Google, and many startups. We came together because we wanted to make a difference in education, and saw the opportunity to empower learners, teachers, and parents. Now, in the face of mass school closures, our product and expertise has become central to many more families and organizations than ever before. Our business is growing explosively and as of July, 400,000 learners have taken more than over 1.3M class hours. We've already doubled our team so far this year to keep up with growth. As well as growing our business, we're committed to access and impact so we founded outschool.org to offer $1M in financial assistance to families in need. We're Series A stage, have raised $22M in funding and are profitable.
For Outschool users, interacting with other community members is a fundamental part of their customer experience. Our teachers rely on each other for advice, ideas, and emotional support. Our parents seek advice from each other on what classes to take. Our learners interact with each other every day in their classes. Over the past few months, our community has grown to thousands of active teachers, and hundreds of thousands of active parents and learners, all of whom rely on each other and us more than ever. The Director of Community will lead and grow our community team to deepen and broaden these relationships.
What you'll do
- Lead the community function at Outschool as part of the customer experience team
- Create thriving, inclusive communities for parents, teachers, and learners
- Drive growth, engagement, and retention via community initiatives
- Collaborate with marketing, support, and other stakeholders
- Manage our groups and forums for Outschool users
- Collaborate with marketing to manage our public-facing social channels
- Manage and grow our community team
- Adopt and amplify our culture
- Promote diversity, equity and inclusion
Why you'll succeed
- You have 4+ years experience managing large online communities
- You have 4+ years experience hiring, leading and managing community teams
- You’re a senior leader with a track record of success
- You have experience with education, marketplaces, or parent-oriented companies
- You are a strong voice of the customer and can drive change within Outschool
- You’re able to build process, structure, and teams
- You bring a creative spark to your work
- You can make tough judgment calls and handle sensitive situations before they escalate
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.