Director of Community
Customer Experience – Community /
Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
Our business is growing explosively and as of August, 500,000 learners have taken more than over 2M class hours. We've more than tripled our team since the beginning of 2020 from 25 to 80 to keep up with growth. We’ve raised $57M since founding with most of that still in the bank. Our sales have grown 2000% in the past year to reach a run-rate of more than $100M.
We're an experienced team with past accomplishments at Airbnb, Square, Apple, Uber, Udemy, Amazon, Wikipedia, Google, and many startups. We came together because we wanted to make a difference in education and saw the opportunity to empower learners, teachers, and parents.
Now, in the face of mass school closures, our product and expertise have become central to many more families, teachers and organizations than ever before. We're committed to access and impact so we founded outschool.org to offer financial assistance to families in need.
For Outschool users, interacting with other community members is a fundamental part of their customer experience. Our teachers rely on each other for advice, ideas, and emotional support. Our parents seek advice from each other on what classes to take. Our learners interact with each other every day in their classes. Our online community now includes tens of thousands of members, but this is the very beginning. We believe community can be a critical tool that drives retention, growth, and deeper user satisfaction. We're looking for a dynamic leader who can run the day-to-day of the team while also driving the team toward a future where Outschool's community is one of the top reasons that people join and remain with Outschool. The right leader is inspired and excited to build the world's best online education community, and has the experience and entrepreneurial approach to make that happen.
- Lead the Community function at Outschool as part of the Customer Experience team
- Create thriving, inclusive communities for parents, teachers, and learners
- Drive growth, engagement, and retention via Community initiatives
- Collaborate with marketing, support, and other stakeholders
- Manage and grow our Community team
- Manage our groups and forums for Outschool users
- Collaborate with Marketing to manage our public-facing social channels
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- 3+ years relevant leadership experience: either managing large online communities, marketing or customer experience
- Senior leader with a proven track record of making companies more community/customer-centric
- Experience building process, structure, teams, and connecting community activities to quantitative business outcomes
- You can make tough judgment calls and de-escalate sensitive situations
- You know how to connect the activities of a community team to core business metrics
- You are deeply interested in the community function, and can demonstrate that in conversations by sharing expertise about online communities and your reflections on what works, what doesn’t and how your learnings might apply to Outschool
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- MBA or former business consulting experience
- Experience with education, online marketplaces or parent-oriented tech companies
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and a 401k that makes saving for retirement easier.
- Health and Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO and Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Remote First: With over 50% of our team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established 501c3s, and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to disabled veterans and applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.