Lead Product Designer
San Francisco, CA
Imagine a school offering every possible class, steps away from your front door. Each class is taught by the teacher who most loves that subject, and is filled with kids who chose to be there.
Join us to bring that school to everyone.
Outschool (YC W16) is the marketplace of video chat classes for kids. Our approach to education empowers kids' natural curiosity and teachers' passion for their craft. You will design the environment that brings them together to cultivate thousands of novel classes like building a city in Minecraft, forensic science, anthropology of magic, drawing Mary Blair-style castles. You would have loved these as a kid!
We are looking for our first designer to elevate the experience of learning, teaching, and exploring on Outschool. You'll shape our design culture and delight our users: teachers, learners from toddlers to teenagers, and their parents. They love to send us feedback, whether we inspire them or fall short, so you'll hear a lot about the impact of your work. Your challenge is to listen to them, to learn their needs, and to balance their preferences across broad product areas: classroom learning (individual and collaborative), marketplace discovery, teacher scheduling, communication, and more.
What you'll do
- Develop UI/UX designs for new features. Create screens and flows to solve users' problems, then see them used by real people within weeks.
- Make a difference. A million visitors came to our site last year, and this year will be much bigger. You will make Outschool a more welcoming, useful, and beautiful place for them, and many of them will notice and tell us so.
- Work with your teammates (product managers and developers) to make sure your solutions are well thought out, user friendly, effective, consistent, and practical.
- Understand different kinds of learners, teachers, and parents. Learn about their needs, assumptions, and priorities through user research, feedback, and metrics.
- Define our style guide and interface guidelines
- Identify cross-cutting design problems such as information architecture and visual consistency, plan solutions and lead their implementation.
- Scale design at Outschool by helping us define our design process, hire, and take on larger challenges as we grow.
We're looking for someone who...
- Has several years of professional experience in product design.
- Has seen their designs in the hands of users
- Has collaborated with engineers on web projects.
- Has worked in a startup environment.
- Communicates effectively with other product professionals. Can analyze design trade-offs from an end user perspective.
- Has some experience with responsive layout, typography, color theory, and web standards.
Please apply below.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.