Senior Engineering Manager
San Francisco, CA /
Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
We're an experienced team with past accomplishments at Airbnb, Square, Apple, Uber, Udemy, Amazon, Google, and many startups. We came together because we wanted to make a difference in education, and saw the opportunity to empower learners, teachers, and parents. Now, in the face of mass school closures, our product and expertise has become central to many more families and organizations than ever before. Our business is growing explosively and as of July, 400,000 learners have taken more than over 1.3M class hours. We've already doubled our team so far this year to keep up with growth. As well as growing our business, we're committed to access and impact so we founded outschool.org to offer $1M in financial assistance to families in need. We're Series A stage, have raised $22M in funding and are profitable.
The engineering team serves our users: learners, parents, and teachers. We work in cross-functional product pods, building out a complex marketplace with unique group class dynamics, and a learning platform designed around the video chat experience. We get a lot done by starting with essentials, deferring complexity, and shipping often. We prioritize collaboration: pairing, design & code reviews, lunch & learns, engineering guilds, documentation. We pay attention to our tools and process, learning from mistakes and successes, investing in our capacity. We’ve scaled our systems rapidly with minimal disruption, and we’re preparing for more growth.
Today, we are 12 full stack engineers, reporting to one manager who reports to the CTO. We expect to double to 24 engineers by the end of the year, then double that again next year. We have a strong foundation: a talented and effective startup team. We need your help to build a great organization, for a greater purpose.
- Join as our second engineering manager, reporting to the CTO
- Evolve our organization: iterate on process, maintain alignment, build trust as we transition to two teams, then three, then more
- Lead, mentor, and grow engineers and managers
- Strengthen relationships with the fast-growing teams around us: product, design, trust & safety, marketing, community, operations
- Identify and overcome challenges caused by fast growth
- Contribute to engineering initiatives
- Adopt and amplify our culture
- Promote diversity, equity and inclusion
- Grow with us
WE LOOK FOR:
- Good judgment in difficult situations
- Effective communication: in writing, in meetings, and one-on-one
- Sincerity and empathy
- Track record of building cohesive and high performing teams
- Hands-on experience in a high-growth startup environment
- Director-level management experience: 5+ years, overseeing multiple teams
- Engineering experience: 5+ years of professional software development, scaling online services
- Ability to learn quickly and to cope with ambiguity
We're open to remote applicants in US timezones (within 3 hours of Pacific time). Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.