Senior Software Engineer - Data
Engineering – Infrastructure /
Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
Our business is growing explosively and as of August, 800,000 learners have taken more than over 4M class hours. We've more than quadrupled our team since the beginning of 2020 from 25 to 100 to keep up with growth. We’ve raised $57M since founding with most of that still in the bank. Our sales have grown 2000% in the past year to reach a run-rate of more than $100M.
We're an experienced team with past accomplishments at Airbnb, Square, Apple, Uber, Udemy, Amazon, Wikipedia, Google, and many startups. We came together because we wanted to make a difference in education and saw the opportunity to empower learners, teachers, and parents.
Now, in the face of mass school closures, our product and expertise have become central to many more families, teachers and organizations than ever before. We're committed to access and impact so we founded outschool.org to offer financial assistance to families in need.
As Outschool has grown, so has our need to take advantage of data to facilitate product execution. We are creating a new Data focus area within our larger Infrastructure team. We are looking for an experienced engineer with a solid understanding of building data pipelines for analytics and machine learning.
In the Infrastructure team, every engineer works full-stack. While this role emphasizes data, you would likely collaborate in other projects with product and infra engineers. We value highly the ability to communicate asynchronously, teach others, and willingness to write documentation.
- Strengthening our existing data pipelines for analytics, reporting, and metric computation
- Developing new in-house analytics pipelines for disparate use cases including privacy, customer support, and content monitoring
- Build up the systems, processes and paradigms to manipulate data at scale so our data science team can experiment and developers can build data and machine learning powered features
- Collaborate with data scientists to improve tools and solutions and in general, facilitate discovery from data
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Strong verbal and written communication as this is a highly collaborative role
- Experience in building data pipelines for business and data science use cases, on the cloud or on-prem
- Understanding of columnar databases and distributed data technologies (Redshift, Hadoop, Hive, Cassandra, Presto or Druid, Kafka) - you know your way around analytics data stores and can help others to take advantage of them to solve their problems
- Real-world experience writing applications in Python and SQL and (maybe) Spark
- Experience in analyzing large datasets, finding and solving problems
- Familiarity with open-source machine learning libraries such as scikit-learn, TensorFlow, or PyTorch
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and a 401k that makes saving for retirement easier.
- Health and Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO and Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Remote First: With over 50% of our team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established 501c3s, and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to disabled veterans and applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.