Head of Data Science
New York Metropolitan Area /
Data – Data Science /
Oxygen is a modern financial platform designed for the 21st-century economy, tailored to meet the unique needs of today's consumers and small businesses (freelancers, solopreneurs and modern SMBs). We believe beauty lies in simplicity, from design to utility, and build our ever-growing product suite with this in mind. And we’re just getting started. At Oxygen, we’re focused on lifting up those who dare to push boundaries and redefine what's possible by delivering on our promise to be a more fair financial partner. The next generation building the future is writing their own rules and shattering expectations. So are we. For those who reject the status quo, welcome to Banking for the Extraordinary. Let's create the future!
About the role:
We are looking to bring on an individual who will spearhead our Data Science org. We are looking for a seasoned Data Science leader who will be instrumental in helping to build new financial products and maintain and extend existing ones. At Oxygen, you will be involved in both the product vision and execution. If you enjoy working in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment this is the job for you.
What you’ll do:
- Tackle business problems and drive business decisions with data
- Lead and strategize projects in one of many domain areas (Product Feature, Fraud & Risk, Operation, Marketing, etc)
- Communicate analytical results effectively to both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Partner with teams across the organization to understand their analytics needs, create dashboards and reports that allow them to execute more effectively
- Generate reports, dashboards for internal and external stakeholders
- This is a hands-on role while also managing a small team
- Become an expert on all aspects of Oxygen’s data and analytics infrastructure
- Bachelor’s degree in STEM related field
- 7+ years of data analysis and/or data science experience
- 3+ years of FinTech experience
- Proficient in SQL queries and with data warehousing concepts on Redshift, Snowflake or similar data warehouse platforms
- Experience with business intelligence analytics, reporting, visualization tools and methods (ie. Quicksight, Power BI, Tableau)
- Experience with a scripting language (preferably Python) for analysis
- Experience using git and working on AWS infrastructure
- Experience in generating dashboards and reporting to present to stakeholders.
- Strong ownership and responsibilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to explain complex statistical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Business-oriented, willing to wear multiple hats, great at dealing with ambiguity and uncertainty, and collaborative with cross-functional teams
- Efficiently communicate and work remotely with cross regions, cross cultural, and geographically dispersed teams
- Passion for democratizing data throughout the company and communicating insights to a broad audience with varying levels of technical expertise
- Excellent time management skills; Ability to react and respond to the critical demands of the department with competing deadlines
- Excellent technical skills must be able to use both PC and Mac operating systems and proficient in google suite products, data analysis and internet technologies
- Have experience in hyper-growth, start-up environment
- Show an appreciation for nuance and a desire to build consensus in a diverse and multicultural environment
Compensation and Benefits:
The final compensation package for this role will be determined during the interview process and is based on a variety of factors, including, but not limited to, geographic location, internal equity, education, skill set, experience and training.
Oxygen also offers comprehensive benefits, including stock options, medical, dental, and vision plans, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits, a retirement plan, flex time off, paid parental leave, employer paid disability coverage, and additional health and wellbeing perks and benefits. Oxygen reserves the right to amend or modify employee perks and benefits at any time.
Not sure you qualify?
Don’t meet every single requirement? At Oxygen, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Oxygen provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.