Timmins Animal Hospital – Support Team /
Timmins Animal Hospital is seeking a friendly, energetic, and compassionate Veterinary Assistant to join our innovative and dynamic team in a full-time capacity. If you love cats and dogs, and enjoy helping people – search no further!
Our ideal candidate is a team player with excellent communication skills, who is detail oriented and thrives in a fast-paced environment while connecting with our team and clients through their love of pets.
The Veterinary Assistant is responsible for ensuring the quality of care and service provided to the pets and the people we care for is impeccable. Through helping to foster a patient-focused service model, participating in a supportive work environment, and by communicating openly with the medical team, the Veterinary Assistant supports the growth and vision of the practice.
We work collaboratively, so it’s important that we identify someone with a cheerful and amiable disposition that shares our enthusiasm for convivial teamwork. We believe in work-life balance, laughter and fun while doing the dedicated work that we do. If you are looking for a progressive environment where each individual is heard and recognized for their unique contributions, we'd love to talk.
You will be scheduled Monday – Friday from 8:00 am – 5:30 pm and a rotation of Saturdays.
Job Duties - Client Experience
- Provides exceptional client service and builds relationships with clients through service, respect, and professionalism.
- Contributes to smooth communication throughout a client’s visit and seeks answers to any client questions or concerns.
- Supports healthcare recommendations and helps educate clients on care or products that would enrich the life of their pet.
- Routinely contributes to the cleanliness and organization of the practice, to ensure all guests leave with a lasting positive impression of the hospital.
- Focuses on the well-being and comfort of the patient while following best medicine and patient experience principles.
- Greets, handles, and treats pets with kindness, compassion, patience and skill using Fear Free techniques. Nurtures an environment that makes them feel safe and secure.
- Advocates for the patient. Helps provide an organized and calm procedural and patient flow throughout medical and treatment areas.
Culture Champion & Communication
- Contributes to a positive, healthy culture.
- Uses a collaborative approach, assumes positive intent, and fosters open, proactive, and cooperative relationships.
- Contributes, supports, and implements new ideas and positive changes for themselves, the team, and the hospital.
- Follows progressive patient care standards while supporting a positive work environment.
- Supports and participates in all voluntary and mandatory accreditations/regulations and training. This includes AAHA, Fear Free, Hands Free Radiation, Great Places to Work, Employment Standards, NBVMA, AAHA, WHMIS, OHS, etc.
Technical Applications & Role Awareness
- Efficiently, accurately, and safely performs animal handling and husbandry duties. Ensures hospitalized, boarding, and grooming patients are comfortable, clean, exercised, and fed according to instructions.
- Frequently monitors all in-hospital patients and correctly records information relating to feeding schedules, appearance, or behaviour. Immediately reports any changes to the correct person.
- Provides direct assistance to Technicians and general assistance throughout hospital with appointments, treatments, procedures, and surgeries.
- Reconciles and unpacks orders. Puts items away in correct locations.
- Is careful with in-clinic food and supplies to avoid wastage. Notifies medical team when patient feeding or treatment plan isn’t being successful (eg. if patient won’t eat don’t keep opening cans of food).
- Assists in keeping medical and diagnostic equipment maintained and in proper and safe working condition. Identifies and reports equipment and facility needs to PM.
- Understands and follows best medicine, hospital initiatives, SOPs, and programs.
- Perform receptionist duties when required to assist from time to time.
- Experience in the Veterinary industry preferred
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Ability to plan and prioritize
- A kind, compassionate, and responsible disposition
- Problem-solving skills with the ability to adapt, be creative, and offer quick and effective solutions
- Ability to work in teams and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to build and nurture relationships at all levels
- An approach that is progressive, strategic, humble, and achievement-oriented
- A love for animals!
- A Competitive Wage rate
- A comprehensive Health Benefits package (100% of Medical, Dental, & Vision premiums paid), effective following successful completion of 3-month probationary period
- Professional Services coverage (chiropractor, massage therapist, physiotherapist, and more)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation time
- Paid Emergency Days
- Generous Veterinary Discounts (75% off services for your own pets, and an extended family and friends discount)
- Uniform Allowance
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a respectful, inclusive, and diverse workplace.