Technical Carbon Operations Lead (Remote)
Business & Operations /
Pachama is looking for a Technical Carbon Operations Lead to help develop new forest carbon projects. In this role you’ll be responsible, alongside our Origination Operations team, for the technical design and development of new projects. You would help to design projects to meet specific methodology requirements, support collection and management of a wide variety of project data, conduct analyses to quantify true carbon benefits, and contribute to project documents and verifications.
You would be excited about this role if you love the idea of rolling up your sleeves to assess, design and implement the highest quality forest carbon projects. You have a demonstrated interest in climate tech, experience implementing or verifying forest carbon projects, exceptional problem solving skills, and a hunger for impact.
This role is fully remote. However a location in the US, Mexico or Brazil is preferred given that some travel to project sites will be required. Experience with Latin American forest biomes is a plus.
Who We Are:
Pachama is a technology company on a mission to restore nature to solve climate change. Harnessing the latest advancements in satellite imagery, remote sensing, and artificial intelligence, Pachama evaluates the carbon stored in our forests and monitors forest growth over time. Pachama has two distinct pathways to help brands meet their climate targets today and create long-term strategies for the future. With Pachama Verified projects, companies can invest in existing high-quality forest conservation and restoration projects vetted by Pachama’s rigorous evaluation process. Through Pachama Originals, companies can start projects from the ground up, making catalytic investments in the next generation of tech-enabled forest carbon projects.
What You Will Help Us With:
- Support project sourcing activities, including conducting eligibility, additionality and financial feasibility assessments.
- Work with internal teams and external partners to execute a range of quantitative and spatial analyses necessary at each phase of carbon project development, including developing project boundaries, conducting site suitability and eligibility assessments, and quantifying true carbon benefits.
- Generate, collect and manage a wide variety of project data, including field biomass inventories, carbon quantification parameters, eligibility criteria and different types of remote sensing/spatial data.
- Product written technical reports to assist in project development and internal project evaluation, and contribute to Project Description Documents and Monitoring Reports.
- Work directly with partners and contractors to ensure that data collection and project quantification procedures align with registry requirements, and participate in project validation and verification activities.
- Conduct technical evaluation of data and reports received from project partners or other third parties.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to provide insights and contribute to the development of tools, products and procedures for Pachama to scale to hundreds of Originals projects.
Experience & Skills We're Looking For:
- University degree or equivalent experience in forestry, forestry engineering, environmental science or other related fields
- Experience developing forest carbon projects, preferably under Verra for conservation and reforestation projects
- Experience with field data collection and applying tree growth models and allometric equations
- Strong quantitative and spatial analysis skills, including experience with GEE, QGIS, ArcGIS, or similar tools
- Ability to effectively operate with flexibility in a fast-paced, constantly evolving, ambiguous, team environment
- Resourcefulness and tenacity with a strong sense of curiosity and passion for learning
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese a plus
- A willingness to travel
$123,000 - $130,000 a year
The salary range for this position is $123,000 USD to $130,000 USD. Salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The salary for each posting reflects the compensation for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. The position is also eligible for equity.
Even if you don’t meet all these requirements, we encourage you to apply if this job description excites you. We are looking for ambitious people to help make an impact on climate change. That purpose requires us to bring together a diverse set of people with different backgrounds, perspectives, and skills to create solutions that work for all.